1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Camera control (tethered shooting) quick overview

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Klorenzo, Sep 13, 2015.

1. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I decided to take a look at this free windows program for tethered shooting:

https://rebs.biz/cc/en/index.html

It works with these cameras: OM-D E-M1, OM-D E-M10, PEN E-P5, PEN E-PL7, Stylus 1 and TG-3 (and latest models I suppose)

Docs are german only so I made a few screenshot to give you a general idea. On Linux works fine with wine-1.7.50 (maybe on wine for Mac too).

Install and start the program and you get this:

all is disabled until a camera is connected.

Now start the wifi on the camera. Go back to the PC and connect it to the camera wifi network, something like (you can find the exact SSID on the camera LCD):

E-M10-F-G5J8F4532

it may take a few moments to appear in the networks list. Enter the password found on the camera LCD and you are in. This will disconnect the PC from the internet.
    After a while you should get this (you just have to wait, no need do select/configure anything)

Then you have four pages. The first one is just to download pictures

The second one is for live import, this "unlocks" the camera controls and everything you shoot gets downloaded immediately:

I think this is the best one: real time download with full physical camera control. After a shot is taken a preview with full exif data and four separate luminance/RGB histograms are shown.

Third one is remote control. In this mode the camera is "locked" and all is controlled from the PC, much like OI Share:

Last one, Remote release, I suppose is for time lapsed shooting (I did not try).

The program is extremely simple and worked immediately. Photo transfer is quite slow. I think it's worth a try if you need something like this.

For E-M1 I think that Olympus Capture can be a much better alternative:

http://support.olympus-imaging.com/oc1download/index/

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
    • Like Like x 4