Camera closest to new Oly OMD-1 mii?

pondball

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Just wanted to thank everyone for their assistance. I just got back from the Vistek show and got to take a peek at the new OM1 Mii... and it will definitely be on my shopping list when it comes available. My understanding is that the price will be announced here in north america early in November and shipping will be sometime in December.

In the meantime... I spent a lot of time at various booths throughout the day and eventually decided that Olympus was the way I would go... but still couldn't decide on which model. I had actually almost decided on the PenF but got turned away when I discovered there was no audio input port... and as I had just purchased a very nice Lavalier mike set up for mat video work that canned the PenF... That meant I was down to the OM1 and the OM5... and I kinda liked the idea of a smaller footprint I ultimately went with the OM5 Mii. I ordered the new 12-100 Pro but apparently it won't be available for another couple of weeks... meaning I won't actually be able to take any photos until it arrives! It was closing at the show so I didn't know until I got to the checkout desk at the show that it wasn't in stock! :frown:... sigh... at least I'm getting closer to officially joining the m43 group here! I also ordered the small grip for the camera as it has the headphone jack which will be useful for video work too.

looking forward to when the new lens arrives...

Austrokiwi

Mu-43 Regular
I am trying to get my head around this..... An antique camera with one of those clunky mechanical mirror thingies is the closest to a MFT camera? I don't get it!

:026: We are in the 21st century folks

tkbslc

Mu-43 Legend
I am trying to get my head around this..... An antique camera with one of those clunky mechanical mirror thingies is the closest to a MFT camera? I don't get it!

:026: We are in the 21st century folks

Who suggested a DSLR and why are you attacking that poor horse corpse and announcing the date?

TheMenWhoDrawSheeps

Mu-43 Top Veteran
It depends on how much are you willing to spend.
EM10, would be best compromise in terms of value/size/money. it has most of the features a modern Mirrorless has to offer in small package and for about 300$(new one). With small primes, you have no excuses to have that combo anytime and anywhere with you. even if you don´t like it - it may come to your wifeys liking instead of P&S%)

next bet would be EM-5/ EM-5ii.
Now EM-5 gives you weather sealing and quality camera for the price of om-d em10. The trade off is - it´s slightly bigger, has a put on flash, and lacks quite a few software features/wifi etc, which are included in the newer models. It´s still on par with many semiprofessional/pro dslr with weathersealing and for that prise it´s a real dealbreaker to get into mft world.
The EM5ii is a different beast - it´s practicaly an EM-1 in a smaller package - not much to say here - if you want a pro camera in a small package it´s definetely the way to go. The price is also just slightly above EM1. Except for better AF, and 4K Video, i don´t really see any reason for upgrading to the EM1ii.

there are also a few Panasonic Options like GX80 - they have rangefinder style, and 4k video, but if you´re getting em1ii there is no reason to get yourself into two different menu systems.

TheMenWhoDrawSheeps

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Just wanted to thank everyone for their assistance. I just got back from the Vistek show and got to take a peek at the new OM1 Mii... and it will definitely be on my shopping list when it comes available. My understanding is that the price will be announced here in north america early in November and shipping will be sometime in December.

In the meantime... I spent a lot of time at various booths throughout the day and eventually decided that Olympus was the way I would go... but still couldn't decide on which model. I had actually almost decided on the PenF but got turned away when I discovered there was no audio input port... and as I had just purchased a very nice Lavalier mike set up for mat video work that canned the PenF... That meant I was down to the OM1 and the OM5... and I kinda liked the idea of a smaller footprint I ultimately went with the OM5 Mii. I ordered the new 12-100 Pro but apparently it won't be available for another couple of weeks... meaning I won't actually be able to take any photos until it arrives! It was closing at the show so I didn't know until I got to the checkout desk at the show that it wasn't in stock! :frown:... sigh... at least I'm getting closer to officially joining the m43 group here! I also ordered the small grip for the camera as it has the headphone jack which will be useful for video work too.

Congrats on your EM5ii%)
since you´re waiting for the 12-100 lens anyway, it´s high time to get yourself a cheap adapter and put some old MF lenses - so the camera doesn´t get dusty until the pro lens arrives%)

pondball

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Congrats on your EM5ii%)
since you´re waiting for the 12-100 lens anyway, it´s high time to get yourself a cheap adapter and put some old MF lenses - so the camera doesn´t get dusty until the pro lens arrives%)
Thanks "TheMenWhoDrawSheeps"
I picked up the camera and ordered the lens at the Vistek show yesterday but have a whack of gift certificates from Henry's Camera Store up here in Canada so I'm hoping to take a wee road trip (45 minutes to closest one) in the next week to pick up a wide angle prime that I can play around with. I don't have any legacy lens except my old honkin big Nikon lens and a few very old legacy Canon lens from the B&W film days. I've got some reno work to finish up here too so having a few days in between buying the EM5ii and being able to use it will probably earn me a few brownie points. :)

pondball

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The EM5ii is a different beast - it´s practicaly an EM-1 in a smaller package - not much to say here - if you want a pro camera in a small package it´s definetely the way to go. The price is also just slightly above EM1. Except for better AF, and 4K Video, i don´t really see any reason for upgrading to the EM1ii.
That's what I thought too... knowing I'll eventually pick up the EM1ii I was really thinking I didn't need two cameras the same size and having a little brother version like the EM5ii would give me more options... and slightly less overall weight. The price of the EM5ii came in a couple of hundred less than the EM1 as well so that was one factor that came into play... only because it will mean it will be sooner before I save up for the EM1ii :)

there are also a few Panasonic Options like GX80 - they have rangefinder style, and 4k video, but if you´re getting em1ii there is no reason to get yourself into two different menu systems.
Looked at the Panny options before deciding yesterday too... the GX85 (I think that was the number). It handled ok but I felt better with the Oly in my hand.

atarijedi

Mu-43 Regular
A few stores have been throwing presales up, so I can't imagine them doing it so far a head of a release. I have a feeling that the release will be this year, possibly even in October or November.

pondball

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Do they have a world order for release? I was hearing something like early November here in Canada (at the earliest) but definitely by December. I was also surprised that the 14 - 100 Pro lens I purchased at the show would not arrive for about 3 weeks (sadly leaving me without any glass for my new EM5ii). That's not as much an issue though as I'll probably be forced to pick up an existing lens just so I can lessen my anxiety :biggrin: over not being able to use my new camera!

Wes Coleman

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Wes Coleman
If you're dead set on getting the E-M1 II, then maybe get something that will complement it so you can use both moving forward. A nice 1" point and shoot like the RX100 IV might be a good choice. Or even something like the Ricoh GR. I love my GR, I use it just as much as my E-M5 II.

EarthQuake

Mu-43 Top Veteran
If you intend to go for the EM1 II, the EM1 I makes a lot of sense. With firmware 4.0 most of the new features added to newer cameras (like EM5 II and Pen-F) were added to the EM1 as well (with the exception of the high res mode, but that requires a tripod and a still subject anyway).

The EM1 + 12-40/2.8 kit is one of the best values in M43 land right now at about $1300 new, you'll be hard pressed to find a better deal on used equipment.

kawhona

Mu-43 Veteran
Florida for the time being relocating to DaNang
Real Name
Don Thompson
Like most have said depends on what you like to shoot. If you want CAF none of these are stellar. If you are a video person go Pany. I do not shoot video so I could care less about video features. I will get the new em1 m2 when it's available. I will carry an em5 mk2 as the backup. For extensive travel I will supplement those with either a Q or a RX1r2. I do have full frame Nikon kit as well but I only take it when I'm driving and based on how little I use it should probably sell it. Another stop gap for you to consider would be a DXO one they aren't the most flexible but you can't beat them for lightweight and my opinion is they are far superior to smartphone cameras. Bodies become obsolete quickly quality glass is the better investment.

brabs2

New to Mu-43
I have both EM1 and Em5mk2 and have just finished a New Zealand trip using both with 12-40, 7-14 and 40-150 with 12mm on the side :) my best results in landscape were always from the EM5 the most noisy from the EM1, the Em5 is a pleasure to use, the Em1 heavier and clunkier. I have preordered the EM1mk2 and will keep my Em5mk2 as well.

harry_s

Mu-43 Regular
The EM1 + 12-40/2.8 kit is one of the best values in M43 land right now

Agree with this, particularly as the 12-40mm is worth quite a bit if you wanted to sell that for something else. I bought my E-M1/12-40mm 2.8 combo used for £700 recently, the 12-40 can easily be shifted for £450, so the cost of the body is a ridiculous £250.

ashburtononline

Mu-43 Veteran

My Friend, An OM1 is a mechanical camera from the 70's.
The cameras you are referring to are the EM1 and EM5 .... not OM's. Om's are LONG GONE.

That said, check out this deal .... $200 USD

Olympus OM-1N

inc. Zuiko 300 f4.5 :)

hazwing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I'm sorta surprised that it'll only be a few weeks until you get the 12-100mm. With this lens only just announced, I was thinking it would take longer before it hits the shelves. Maybe you should get a cheap kit lens to get yourself started?

pondball

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I'm sorta surprised that it'll only be a few weeks until you get the 12-100mm. With this lens only just announced, I was thinking it would take longer before it hits the shelves. Maybe you should get a cheap kit lens to get yourself started?
Tomorrow I'll be checking out a few camera stores on my way home from my daughters so I'm hoping to check out (and pick up) the 7-14 Pro. A few of them show that they are in stock at their stores. Shooting be shooting in next day or so, although I guess it would have been smart to charge the battery before heading out of town today! :coco:

Latest threads

Top Bottom