Camera closest to new Oly OMD-1 mii?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by pondball, Oct 4, 2016.

1. pondball

pondball Mu-43 Regular

I'm really looking forward to the release date of the new mark ii D-1. Have seen the reviews, watched the Fotokina announcement and am more convinced that ever that this will become my "flagship" m43 camera for the foreseeable future.

Tomorrow I'll be spending the day at the Vistek Photoshow in Toronto doing some final hands on appraisals of the Oly, Panny and Fuji entries in the mirrorless market but I'm pretty much ready to go with the new Oly.

However, I'm getting the feeling that it won't be available until 2017? I just went through a weekend where I was without a camera... at my oldest son's wedding. I resorted to an old iPhone4 and will have to see what my wife's P&S as well as other shooters captured as my FF Nikon is pretty much toast for now, and has been since the Spring.

Being without a camera for another 3 - 4 months does not sit well with me so my question is...

Is there another Oly offering that will provide me with the same quality of shot, the same compactness for travel and the ability to use the same lens once the D-1 Mii is released? I want to get familiar with the Oly shooting menu as much as possible before my next trip (August 2017) but want time to play with it in current seasonal conditions. i.e. from those presently using the Pen-F... would this get me comfortable with the Oly sufficient that by the time August comes along I won't be fumbling around in the menu system when I'd rather be using that time to compose the shot?

Reason I'm asking is because they always have some pretty good deals on equipment at this show and I'm not adverse to picking up my "2nd" camera first if the price and "packaged (hopefully) Pro) lens is right.

2. Giiba

Giiba Something to someone somewhere

Aug 19, 2016
    Burnaby, BC
    The e-m1 mk1 is the only way to go, or wait. Used the mk1 can be pretty cheap.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. dalto

dalto Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2016
    Texas
    e-m1 or e-m5ii depending on your priorities would be the closest cameras. The e-m1 has more similar ergonomics for sure. The e-m5ii has a fully articulating screen. For me, it would depend if you are planning to keep the camera or sell it after you get you e-m1ii.

If keeping it, the e-m5ii would give you an even more compact alternative to your e-m1ii. If selling, the e-m1 is the way to go because it is more similar. That being said, I expect used prices for the e-m1 to plummet even further as soon it's successor is released.

4. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Get a used EM1.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. pondball

pondball Mu-43 Regular

I'd plan on keeping it and work with two bodies... still going to be lighter than my D700 config. With regards to travel I would be planning on carrying a moderately useful wide range zoom (the new one, 14 - 100 wasn't it?) on the new OMD-1 Mii and then a smaller wide angle prime for some low light shots indoors... so given that scenario I guess I'd be looking at whatever would give me the best low light indoors... that's why I was originally thinking the Pen-F might do the trick as it's not weather resistant like the new D1-Mii will be.

6. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    The Pen-F is probably the worst value for money from Olympus at the moment. Unless you are specifically after the style of that body or the special jpeg engine features, the Em-5II or Em-1 will probably be better candidates.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. dalto

dalto Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2016
    Texas
    The pen-f handles quite a bit differently than the E-Mx series of cameras. That be an advantage or a disadvantage depending on your perspective. For me, I would want similar bodies if I was carrying two and switching back and forth.

8. pondball

pondball Mu-43 Regular

I've been shooting exclusively in RAW with my D700 so the jpg or RAW+Jpg is not high on my list of priorities.

9. pondball

pondball Mu-43 Regular

Given the price of the two here now is relatively the same what would your suggestion be? I've looked at the Oly promo videos on their site but not sure one offers anything more than the other to me... other than the 5II is a newer version of that model and therefore newer technology.

10. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    The E-M1 firmware updates give it all the features of the E-M5mkii other than hi res mode. Neither camera does fantastic video so that is a wash. The E-M1 is the only camera that can do PDAF currently from Olympus and will have the best AF tracking performance.

It really boils down to your need for a second body. Personally I would likely buy an E-M5mkii, but I can see the attraction of two similar handling bodies for sure.

11. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Unfortunately, none of the M4/3 sensors on the market for the past 3-4 years will give you any particularly noticeable difference in low-light performance. The PEN F is a nice differentiator from the E-M1 II in terms of handling and usage experience, but it is quite expensive for what it is compared to the other M4/3 offerings that will give you similar image quality.

12. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Agreed - when you can pickup an E-M1 for maybe 60% of the price of a Pen F it's a complete no-brainer. Unless form-factor is important to you, the E-M1 is the much better camera.

13. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Seems like it would have to be the E-M1 that is going to be the closest to the E-M1 II in terms of handling and operation.

14. robcee

robcee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2016
    Toronto
    Rob Campbell
    +1 from me for the EM1. I still shoot mine pretty much daily. I love it.

If you're really keen and have an urge to splurge, go for the PEN-F for something different. They had a "deal" on this weekend for $250 off in the US and Canada so you might find one on cheaper side of 1500 loonies.

15. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    If you are keeping the second camera for a second body, I'd got with em5 or em10. Em10 would be even smaller than the em5, but loses its weather sealing

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    A complement to the new em1ii would be the em10ii, em5ii, or pen f. That way you'd have a compact camera version of the em1ii.

When I want to go small and shoot casually, I set my em1 aside and grab the epm2 with a 20mm. It fits nicely in my jacket pocket. The pen f would do the same.

17. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    The EM1 would be the best cheaper backup to the EM1 II. The EM5 II would give you a similar experience, especially with a grip, and a smaller alternative. The Pen F would be a different but still high quality camera as a backup. In addition, you could infiltrate roving gangs of hipsters.

18. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Just buy two E-M1s (I don't know why you call it the D-1?) and spend the rest of the money on good lenses.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Giiba

Giiba Something to someone somewhere

Aug 19, 2016
    Burnaby, BC
    Unless you need top drawer c-af performance I think this is the best bet going today.

Edit: not that the mk1 is bad, far from it

20. ashburtononline

ashburtononline Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2015
    New Zealand
    Whats a D1 ??