Camera clamp

btaylor

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Ben
Will this be any good?

USSR Vintage Clamp Pocket Portable Mini 1/4''Camera Flash Table Desk Mount Tripo

I want something to take on holiday that will enable me to take long exposures.
A mini tripod would do but might be overkill and a simple clamp (what seems to be referred to as a crab clamp) would probably suffice but I will probably be able to want to move the camera in relation to the thing it is clamped onto if it is immovable.
Does the above look like it would support about 1 kg?
Any other suggestions?

John M Flores

Super Moderator
That looks pretty awesome. But it also looks like it weighs a fair amount. I've used a Manfrotto Nano Clamp (either with an articulating arm, a RAM mount, or a small ballhead) with some success. A clamp does restrict you in terms of composition though; it's kind of frustrating when the shot that you want is 12" away from the shot that you can clamp to lol. But every choice is a compromise of sorts.

algold

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Alex
I have a very similar clamp (also Soviet FED), but less vintage :). Bought it about 30-35 years ago. It is pretty solid, weighs 115g and can probably hold more than 1 kg. Never used it to mount a camera though - this thing is very crude and you really have to lock this small ballhead really tight to hold anything in place, so it is difficult to adjust your camera position.
It works quite well with a flex arm as a flash support though:
https://flic.kr/p/aanaYA

blumoon722

Mu-43 Veteran
I have this tripod. It will clamp on to things, or you can unscrew the bottom which has 3 screw-in legs, and a big screw for a fence post or a tree or ?
I think it would hold 1KG (2.2lb.)
DSC07609.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
DSC07610.JPG
DSC07611.JPG
DSC07612.JPG

oldracer

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
There is no shortage of options.
This one: Pedco UltraClamp 2.5 PDUCA25 B&H Photo Video is decent.
There are many clamp and suction cup options in the RAM line: RAM Mounts - Mobile Mounting Solutions for Phones, Tablets, Laptops, Camera & more So many, in fact, that it can be hard to wade through them.
Also, there are many clamp and suction mounts for the GoPro camera line. Most of these have 1/4-20" studs so will work with small ball heads or professional-typ ball heads using a 3/8" thread adapter in the ball head. eBay is your friend for these.
Manfrotto also has small clamps designed primarily for lighting but which can be used for camera mounting. Search results for: 'clamp'

Petrochemist

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike
There are table top tripods that will be much lighter than that clamp. Generally easier to use & faster too...
I suspect a small gorilla pod would be ideal for you.

Latest threads

Top Bottom