Camera choice for Disneyland Paris E-Pl6?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by doogie, Jun 18, 2016.

1. doogie

doogie Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2016
    I have an Olympus E-Pl6 with several lenses including fast primes, but want to travel as light as possible.

So I can take the Olympus with my 12-32mm lumix lens which is pretty slow, or take my RX100 Mk1.

The Sony has a faster lens at the wide end, but gets slower as you zoom in.
    Olympus should be able to handle high ISO pretty well.

Which would you choose?

2. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    If you plan to take any additional lenses go with epl6. If don't plan on taking any lens and you want to travel light as possible, the rx100

3. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I'd take the E-PL6 + 12-32, add the 35-100 f/3.5-5.6 and a fast prime under 20mm.

apertures-final.

• Like Like x 1
  4. doogie

doogie Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2016
    Both good advice thanks, useful chart.

I have Pan 20mm, Oly 25mm, Oly 45mm, and Pan 45-150mm.

Unless I take a prime say 20mm, I may take the RX100.

5. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

For Disneyland I'd just take the RX100.

• Like Like x 1
  6. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    A good question, who's on the trip? Kids? Take the Sony.

• Like Like x 1
  7. doogie

doogie Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2016
    Yes the wife and my kid, Sony it is then.
    I've been impressed with the RX100 so far.

• Like Like x 1
  8. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    I'd take the E-PL6, 12-32mm and 45mm. You get reasonably compact kit that covers most needs and lets you take superior images to what the Sony can offer, its basic quality notwithstanding. On short, casual trips (or ones when weight was a serious issue - think cycling), I've taken along the E-PM1 and 12-32mm with very good success - small, yet capable, both the camera and the lens. The 45mm was transferred to that kit only recently - because it's small and light and works so well on the small PEN body; plus it delivers IQ in spades, even on the somewhat elderly sensor. True, the RX100 is a very good compact camera, but its lens can't quite keep up with the 12-32mm, though it's got more reach. And the E-PL6's sensor is clearly superior in low light. With the 45mm, you can get family portraits the Sony simply won't give you. So, a little more bulk and weight (but not substantially so), but clearly more fun and yield.

M.

9. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I think there is no practical speed difference as the faster lens and the smaller sensor cancel out each other. The mki is getting old so the E-PL6 sensor probably wins there.
    I suppose you'll be outdoor most of the time so you do not need a fast lens or super sensor. On the RX you have a small EVF that could be nice in bright light and you may save a little weight and space.
    Take the E-PL6 and primes if you want a little more IQ from the lenses or some more versatility: 12-32 for everything, 20/25 or 45 for indoor or evening shots.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Mk1, remember? No EVF ... I think the E-PL6's LCD wins for its tiltabilitiy, too ...

M.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    When I was there last year with my 7 and 4 year old, I primarily used the 25mm within the dark rides with my epm2. The 7.5 also proved to be a fun lens. I also used the 12-32.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    I really like my ZD 150mm f/2.0 for gator photography and would definitely take it if I was going.

13. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I'd avoid Disneyland and go somewhere else in France that has something worth photographing! ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    There are many advantages to having a pocketable camera. The E-PL6 will be a bit better, but you'll enjoy the park more with the RX100.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    You mean something like a screaming child having a tantrum in the Louvre? :biggrin:

Disneyland isn't my cup of tea, but I do remember going as a child. I think going today is somewhat of a rite of passage for parents. Then they can later head to Paris having paid their parental dues.

Bon voyage,

--Ken

16. doogie

doogie Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2016
    The flip screen on the E-PL6 will come in handy for family shots, plus I have the VF4 I can use.

My RX100 is a MK1 so no EVF or flip screen, but I still love it.

The E-PL6 wins for selfie mode so I can actually be in a photo for a change!
    Decided to take E-PL6 instead now, with the 12-32mm and possibly a prime.

• Like Like x 1
  17. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    I may have looked like a total nerd, but the mind shift bag with the removable fanny pack worked perfect for this trip.

18. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    Good choice, I'd vote for the 20mm or 25mm prime.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    I did Disneyland Paris with an EPM1 + 14-42mm. It was fine for most things, but the car stunt show required more reach than 42mm could offer (In fact, I was so disappointed by the stunt show shots that I bought a 40-150mm on my return). The RX100 would give you 100mm equivalent at the long end, opposed to 64mm equivalent of the 12-32, plus you'd have move overhead for cropping with the RX100's 20mp files. The RX100 doesn't take up a lot of bag space, so I would say take both if you can.

20. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Simon
    If you are generally happy with the results from the RX100, then why not take that as your primary camera, and take the EPL6 with the 20mm prime on it as a compact low light option. On that sort of holiday I'd be reluctant to take a single body and multiple lenses, as you almost certainly won't want to be fumbling around changing lenses.