Camera Bug just Bit me again..

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by MrDoug, May 25, 2014.

1. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Hi.. I just got Bit by the Camera Bug again.. he is a mean Bug.. I have not been active here for probably a year now.. I have been busy etc, etc.. but I have taken many pictures since here and there causually.. but a few days ago I logged in here again... started looking around and this Bug hopped on my shoulder and I can't knock it off.. what shall I do?.. the last time that nasty Bug Bit me, it cost me $4000 dollars.. Please help.. all advice appreciated.. :smile:
    Mr. Doug

2. mcrosa

mcrosa Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2013
    Miami, Florida
    Mike Crosa
    Go with the flow. :smile:

3. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Resistance is futile

4. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Hey Doug...nice to see you back, even if it is only to flirt with temptation.

What has changed since you've been away on the gear front ? Well, it could be argued that not a lot has changed, the m43 ecosystem is packed with so many options it can make your head spin, what are we at now? 60+ lenses !!! ....but now we also have insanely good 4K video and C-AF that doesn't shame itself even against the very best (GH4).....an EVF that is perhaps THE very best electronic EVF ever made (EM1)....1/8000 shutter speeds, focus peaking and wifi connectivity are quickly becoming standard features...Panasonic has also introduced IBIS (gasps in disbelief) and has SOOC jpegs essentially on par with Olympus jpegs. Panasonic has also finally answered so many peoples prayers and put an EVF in a rangefinder-esque styled body....and Olympus has put so many features into the EM1 that the mind boggles! ...and have I mentioned a certain little pocket dynamo called the GM1 that packs premium m43 stills and video quality in a package smaller than the PEN minis?

Lenses ? ....well the long time cult fave the PL25/1.4 now finally has some competition....the smaller, cheaper but not quite so large aperture O25/1.8 ....we also have the PL42.5/1.2 Nocticron, yes...f1.2....a lens that so many reviewers have already called one of the best super fast portrait primes ever made...not to mention the soon to be available 4th Leica badged m43 lens....the 15mm/f1.7 Summilux.

Some things have changed....whilst other haven't. One of the things that hasn't is GAS....even the best of us can suffer it daily, always cruising eBay for a new bargain...and there are some really good ones to be had if you look hard enough. There are other things that haven't changed...debates on the forum can still get prickly at times....you've spent enough time here in the past to know exactly what I mean....you know, all the old classics such as:

Olympus oozes magical photography heritage whilst Panasonic is merely a microwave maker !
    IBIS is useless....because Ansell Adams and HCB never needed it !
    M43 is better than FF!
    FF is better than M43!
    Shallow DOF is only used by people lacking true photographic skill !
    Street photography is OK.
    Street photography is not OK!

If you're seriously considering jumping back on board then I'd say try recall the bodies and lenses that gave you the most joy and that you got the most use out of.....plonk that sucker on your body of choice and it'll be like you never left.

5. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    Hi MrDoug coming from a Chinese background I have no idea what a camera bug is but I'm sure I got bitten now and then too as that causes my wallet bleeding:biggrin: good to see you back, and show us the photos!

6. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    Welcome back, as all the others above have said.................gas gas gas.

7. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Welcome Back MrDoug
    Always great to see a lost sheep back in the fold !
    Some great bargains around such as Panasonic G5 to get you going !
    Regards
    Rob

8. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Hi All.. thanks for the welcome back.. I have taken some Gas-X over the counter meds.. I hope it works.. but I doubt it.. :) I love photography and now I have lots of time, so the Photo Shops are going to love me..
    Doug