Camera Battery "Management"

Real Name
Joe M
Hi all,

I am intrigued to hear how people "manage" their camera battery process.

What I mean by this, is the management of knowing which batteries are charged or dead when in the field. For example, I put all my charged batteries in one pocket in my bag and once I take it out out the camera (due to being low) I put it in another pocket.

It is not the best process, but without having a charge indicator on the battery itself, its the only way.

I'm intrigued how other people manage in the field. I find it a pain not knowing which one is charged or not, I like with my DJI drone battery I can press a button and it tells me. And sometimes a "low" battery shows up as 100% when you put it in, but after 10 shots it dies, which can put you in a tight spot if you doing wildlife or sport for example. So just popping a battery in to check levels isn't a great solution either.

Not the most exciting topic of conversation Ill admit, but something I've been thinking about.

Joe

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I've gone through several approaches.

My current approach is to use the Rogue Battery Pouch, which has pockets for 2 batteries, and a little red/green card that you can use to indicate the battery is discharged or charged. It is nice that it has hook & loop straps (i.e. velcro [tm]) so I can attach the battery pouch(es) to my tripod legs. When I'm shooting with different cameras using separate batteries, I will typically use a separate Rogue Battery Pouch for each battery type. On the tripod, usually put the 3 pouches in a particular orientation, so that for instance if I'm shooting video, I know which pouch has the Panasonic battery in it.

Before I got the Rogue Pouches, I usually would put the charged batteries in pouches, and then as I use them, put the battery in the bottom of my camera bag loose. Then at the end of the day, I know which batteries to charge up.

Once in awhile, I might put the battery in the pouches in a particular orientation (i.e. charging plates up or down) to indicate the charged state.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
My post in a different but related thread.

https://www.mu-43.com/threads/quick-draw-battery-holders-for-panasonic.108236/#post-1383924

I use a battery wallet, because I don't want to hassle looking for individual batteries in my bag.
If I grab a "used" battery rather than a "charged" battery, I have to grope around looking for a "charged" battery.
As I said in that post, the battery consumption rate of the mirrorless, which requires carrying up to FOUR spare batteries, is the root of the problem.

Last edited:

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
The OEM Pansonic batteries come with a plastic holder. I put freshly charged batteries in it with the contacts facing towards the front of the holder. The ones that need charging are place in the holder facing backwards.

John King

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Joe, OEM batteries for your E-M1 MkII (BLH-1) come in a plastic clip box. This has a cutout that aligns with the triangle mark on the battery.

I put mine away as aligned = charged; non-aligned = discharged.

Li-Ion batteries should never be carried in any way such that terminals can be shorted. They can release the entire charge in the battery instantaneously. A lead acid (or similar) battery takes some considerable time to drain completely, even though still dangerous. Li-Ion batteries are extremely dangerous ...

ADemuth

Mu-43 Veteran
I made a battery dispenser for my bag, fresh batteries go in it, deads go in a little zippered pouch if I have time, or just tossed into the bottom in a big ol' mess if I'm in a hurry.

I have my batteries numbered, but favor using my oldest battery first. Dunno why.

Real Name
Joe M
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Joe, OEM batteries for your E-M1 MkII (BLH-1) come in a plastic clip box. This has a cutout that aligns with the triangle mark on the battery.
That's a smart idea! I have no idea where I put those clip boxes.

That’s what I do, too. I also number the batteries and use them sequentially so they all get equal use.
Another smart idea. I wonder if there is a way to test the "life" of a battery at all, so you might know how good/bad a battery might be?

I've gone through several approaches.

My current approach is to use the Rogue Battery Pouch, which has pockets for 2 batteries, and a little red/green card that you can use to indicate the battery is discharged or charged.
That's quite an interesting design. It seems a bit clumsy that its a whole piece of card you switch round rather than just a switch or something but I like the concept.

As I said in that post, the battery consumption rate of the mirrorless, which requires carrying up to FOUR spare batteries, is the root of the problem.
Thanks for sharing that post, interesting read. Same, I carry up to 10 batteries with me on my hiking/camping trips where I am gone for multiple days. I try to slimline my camera gear, so try not to carry extra weight or bulk so looking into ideas and solutions.

Acraftman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Sometimes the simplest is the best. YMMV.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

threeOh

Mu-43 Regular
I used to number each battery and use them in ascending numerical order. What was in the camera came out and was replaced with the next highest number. I didn’t separate them. They all came from and went back into the same ziplock with some bubble wrap sleeves to keep the contacts from touching. When I got to a charger, what got charged was what was in the camera and any lower numbered batteries.

This system also made it easy to cycle my battery usage by starting at different numbers.

Fortunately I no longer shoot that sort of volume.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Number the batteries. Stick red tape ar one end of the clear plastic battery boxes. Dead battery contacts towards the red end.

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
In addition to numbering, I also write the year and month of purchase on my batteries. Helps me decide if they lasted long enough (based on price). I had some that got swollen after only a year, but so far the replacements have lasted 4 or 5 years.

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
In addition to numbering, I also write the year and month of purchase on my batteries. Helps me decide if they lasted long enough (based on price). I had some that got swollen after only a year, but so far the replacements have lasted 4 or 5 years.
I track that in a spread sheet along with dates of charging.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Speaking of numbering.
If you have 5 batteries, and battery #3 goes bad.
Do you make the new battery #3, or #6?

We had this discussion in class, and the kids want to make the replacement #3.
In their minds, they are always going to be looking for the missing #3.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
I write on the battery number, also the mah rating of the battery, as I almost had problems flying in China. But clear markings solved that. How do we fly with our kit, now that airlines are proposing to ban carry on luggage?

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom