Camera bags

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Hingo, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Hingo

Hingo Mu-43 Regular

Oct 31, 2012

I'm thinking of buying a bag, but there's many to choose from. After reading Steve Huff review of think tank Retrospective 5 shoulder bag, which he says is
    the best bag for carrying m43 equipment, very comfortable, light and very good product for 137$, I think it looks good.
    Think Tank Photo Retrospective 5 Shoulder Bag (Pinestone Gray)

Also the Billingham bags are supercool and well made, the Billingham Hadley Pro Shoulder Bag Billingham Hadley Pro Shoulder Bag BI 505201 B&H Photo Video seems to be a good choice.

The equipment I'm using is OMD with both grip, 45mm 1.8 / 60mm 2.8 and hopefully panasonic 25mm 1.4, so it must fit in 3 lenses + body with lens on. So I'm wondering if you folks can give any advise what to buy or have any experience of these two I mentioned.

2. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Hi Hingo!

I don't have either of the bags you mention, but here's a huge thread on bags here:

Searching on 'Hadley' and/or Retrospective in the thread gives a fair number of hits.

I have the "official" Olympus bag and would NOT recommend it. My review is here:

Sorry I don't have the definitive answer on Hadley or ThinkTank :redface:, but I hope the links help you in your search.

3. vcs700s

vcs700s Mu-43 Regular

Jan 9, 2013
    I like the Lowepro Event Messenger bags. Fairly inexpensive and the 150 & 250 have room for my iPad. Even the 100 has plenty of room- OMD with 4 lenses, hoods, strap and extra battery. Check it out if you have a chance.
  4. Hingo

Hingo Mu-43 Regular

Oct 31, 2012
    Thanks both

The lowepro are solid and rugged, I'll check it out
  5. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    Yes, use this thread. There are a great number of recommendations already here and if you post in this thread all of the prior posters might be stirred to weigh in.
  6. Hingo

Hingo Mu-43 Regular

Oct 31, 2012
  7. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    I have the Retrospective 5 and it's stupid cheap in the U.S. for such a good quality bag. It costs way more up here in Canada. Your kit should fit in the bag without a problem. Unfortunately, there is no way to fit an ipad in the R5 but that is where the R7 comes in. I love both my R5 and R7.
  8. condo39

condo39 Mu-43 Regular

I have the Billingham and really like it. Not your typical looking camera bag, either. Luckily, I was able to find a used one on FM. I also own a Think Tank (not the one you are considering). They are great bags, too, but the Billingham is a step up.
  9. erb3742

erb3742 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 3, 2012
    Southern California
    I bought the retrospective 5 and returned it for the 7. The strap is a little longer and the slightly larger size is more of a small messenger bag look vs a purse! Love the 7 and use it all the time carrying similar gear.
  10. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    I was looking for the Retrospective 5 but I think it is a bit pricey here in Finland (200$) so I bought the Lowepro Event Messenger 150. At 1/3 of the price of Retrospective you get well made and super practical and almost good looking camera bag that can hold: E-P1, 7.5mm, 14mm, 20mm, 45mm and 40-150mm and after that you still have one thirds left for a flash/food/wallet/bottle of rum.
    It also has a dedicated compartment for a tablet.
  11. Hingo

Hingo Mu-43 Regular

Oct 31, 2012
    thanks everybody

The Lowepro Event Messenger series looks good, but the omd with both grips and lets say the 60mm 2.8 is a bit spacey imo, and for my specialness, I always lay the camera that way that the grip/memory card turns up in the bag, for quick grap, but it takes
    more space that way, rather than pointing the lens down. The only thing I'm looking for is that the bag has to carry the equipment nicely and safely.
  12. smarikoe

smarikoe Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    I just recently got a Hadley Pro and it's been great so far. I can pack in my omd, epm1, 20mm, 45mm, 9-18mm, 40-150mm and my x220 12" laptop. Not to mention that the front two pockets are still left free for spare batteries, filters and small tripods.

You can get em cheap as chips on ebay from Korea. Bought mine for about $179 AUD and it arrived within a week. Packed well and the postage is top notch.
  13. Carl Radford

Carl Radford Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2012
    I choose the Retrospective 5 after reading that review - i have the OMD with 25mm lens on and in the side compartments have the 60mm macros 12-50 and 45mm 1.8 - no issues. It might start to get a little tighter when the grip arrives :)
  14. aldus

aldus Mu-43 Regular

Dec 24, 2012
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Dennis Moser
    One more for the mix — Vanguard Heralder

Just got mine, a Heralder 33 and will be following up with a Before/After review when I get back from Prague.

3 sizes, the bigger two have a tripod "pouch" and a built-in rain cover:

Special on Amazon for the Heralder 33, too ... vanguard heralder