Camera Bag Review Via The Online Phtographer

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Biro, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Mike Johnston's The Online Photographer has had guest writer John Camp (a self-admitted camera bag junkie) contribute three columns over a few recent days about selecting a camera bag. Since this subject comes up often on most photo sites, I thought I'd share it here.

This link takes you to the final column, which actually provides some hard recommendations. But links to the first two columns are provided.

http://theonlinephotographer.typepa...gs-and-camera-backpacks-part-iii-reviews.html

BTW, it seems Think Tank bags get the lion's share of the love from both the author and many of those responding. Among less-expensive bags, it seems LowePro gets the nod.

EDIT: And here is Mike Johnston's take on the Billingham Hadley bag in response to John Camp's pieces:

http://theonlinephotographer.typepa...pher/2013/07/are-we-slagging-billingham-.html

2. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    I think they did well, Biro, as they concur with almost all of my preconceived notions.

3. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    There's a few head scratching comments in the final part that you've linked, but I love Mike's piece on the Billingham - makes me awfully tempted to get an F2.8 and call it quits till I retire (I'm 26...) :smile:

4. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Damn, I love my Billinghams. My 445 is 15 years old and looks new. I have three others including a Hadley pro. I have over 30 camera Bags from all the majors (and a few minors as well). In a shoulder bag, nothing comes close. Id like to see a nice m43 backpack from them.

Gordon

5. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    I only use Billingham bags. Anything else is just not snobbery!
    But I bought mine 28 years ago when they were not so expensive. I couldn't afford an expensive one. A great bag for 2 OM bodies+lenses, me TLR and rolls and rolls of film! I'm very surprised to see the price of them now. Maybe I should sell it at a profit! As my whole m43 system fits in the tiny Olympus Street Case M. (it came free with the 40-150)

6. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    I recently bought a Hadley small. It comfortably holds 5 lenses including the 50-200 4.3 lens an OM-D body+grip and battery holder, and an iPad!

There are only two things that really make the bag: the straps and the way the bag top fits over the interior.

7. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

I have a Billingham Hadley Pro. Really well made, looks great on me, has a ultra soft interior but I find the standard strap uncomfortable. Wish it were replaceable with a wider strap. Not a good bag for a long day or travel.

Basically the 1.5 inch strap is too narrow and bites into my shoulder like an angry dog. So I bought the Billingham shoulder pad with wee leather straps that snap onto the main strap. Looks pretty but not a thoughtful design as the the wee straps loop through the pad and protrude beyond the neoprene. Those two wee straps act like two little speed bumps digging into my shoulder. So finally I found a cheap nylon "travel pad" with velcro and it's a lot more comfortable. Flexible enough to contour to my shoulder, nicely padded and about an inch wider than the strap. I suspect the Billingham pad would be okay for folks wearing a heavy coast but is too lumpy for T-shirt wearers like me.

8. Badeente

Badeente New to Mu-43

Jul 12, 2013
    I bought my Billingham in the nineties and kind of liked the idea I bought it for life. But in the last years the fabric got stiff (almost like carton). It no fun to use it these days. Of cause I spend far more money on photo gear which I no longer use. So the couple of hundreds is not the problem. But I am disappointed in the Billingham quality.
    I think my next bag won't be a Billingham. Think I have to checkout the Thinktank bags.

9. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    I'm terribly sorry to hear that. :biggrin:

I had convinced myself that, looking at the specs listed of the Hadley Small, that it was too narrow to accept a gripped OM-D EM-5. I had resigned myself to forever owning lesser bags, to searching fruitlessly for the One True Bag without obtaining Nirvana.

Now I'll have to do my sums all over again; and just this week I acquired a new 45mm Olympus and have had my finger hovering over the "buy" button on a new 60mm. I'm beginning to think that gear collecting is an expensive past time.

(Thanks for posting that the bag will hold a gripped OM-D, it saves me entering another question in the "Bags" thread).

Regards,

Jim

10. Savas K

Jan 10, 2013
    That's very funny.

11. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Have you looked at Domke's shoulder pad?

--Ken

12. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

Billingham Hadleys are narrow but flex a lot in the center so thus some surprisingly large cameras will fit just fine if you don't mind the camera "bump." My wife carries her EOS 60D with 17-85 in a Hadley small with room to spare for makeup, iPhone and flash.

13. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry

Here you go -

9270601055_28b0247fe1_o.
    photo[1] by pelicaneng, on Flickr

EC14+battery grip in left outside pocket, Pany 20 in the other.

Under the body on the right is the 12-50. The 50-200 is on the left of course :wink:

And yes that is a purple Artisan & Artist strap (it was cheap and I like purple :biggrin:).

14. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Thanks for taking the time to post the photo. Visual aids at my age are always helpful. And purple works for me, it's my elder daughter-in-law's favorite color.

Have you attempted it with the full grip, not just the vertical?

It appears that it wouldn't fit if mounted on the camera. If it won't I'll have saved $232 U.S. :biggrin:

Regards,

Jim

15. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

You mean the Postal Service style pad? Yep, it's in my closet collecting lint. Hard as a rock and the most painful shoulder pad I have tried. Couldn't carry a bag for a week after a day of that thing. Love Domke bags tho'.

I've tried dozens of shoulder pads over the years but my favorite shoulder pads--the most comfy--are the Manhattan Portage and Crumpler pads. I've fitted those two models to all my bags no matter what the make, color or size.

16. Savas K

Jan 10, 2013
    I thought you meant the entire grip, nstelemark. For an entirely gripped EM-5 in the Billingham range that is reasonably sized for Micro 4/3 are Hadley Digital, Hadley Pro, L2, and the 107 and its brethren. (depending upon what you are bringing along in addition to the gripped and lensed body).

17. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
    I don't need the battery grip very often.

18. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
  19. Richella

Richella The Wandering Scotsman

Aug 21, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    Here is my video review of the Billingham Hadley Small with my OM-D kit. Perhaps it will help.

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pwlC7odJk4]Billingham Hadley Small with OM-D kit - YouTube[/ame]

20. Savas K

Jan 10, 2013

This guy Johnston thinks like I do. I additionally came up with carrying a plastic bag to serve as a diaper when in the wild; the bag to go under the camera bag just to save the hassle and distraction brought about by getting goose crap on the bag and strap and eventually having to clean it off. Sure the Billinghams are waterproof and can take the abuse, but why bother? Or for any brand bag for that matter.