Camera bag for CCW ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taurahe

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Brandon
I am looking for a bag that fills the role as a camera bag , as well as a EDC/CCW bag . I generally carry a small kit .... Em1mk2 with 17mm 1.8, 25mm 1.7, 45mm 1.8 and a speedlight . I would like to be able to carry this as well as my EDC/CCW kit ...which is basically a few spare magazines , small first aid kit .

My current camera bags are either a peak design 10l or 5l sling , and don't have enough room . My EDC/CCW bag is a small Red Rock back pack ..... Neither does the other well, unfortunately . Ideally it would have compartments for both photo gear and be somewhat specialized for CCW....

UPDATE: so i decided to make my own bag to suit my needs. I picked up a Redrock element Backpack. Lots of space but not oversized , perfect for a day outing in general, molle straps for adding things if i needed to, hydration bladder compatible, and very reasonably priced at $40 USD. I had a Lowepro Streamline camera bag in the closet, and that has been pressed into service as a bag inside the bag. This actually works out well as I can take the wholw bag out and comfortably wear it while wearing the back pack. Inside the lowepro i have my Em1mk2 with the 17mm 1.8, a 25mm 1.7, and a 45mm 1.8. I have room to add a speedlight if i needed it as well, and a few extra batteries. this nests snugly into the bottom of the main compartment. In the front compartment i have a phone charger, pocket knife, pen, magic marker, rubber bands, a small roll of gaffers tape, a note pad, and a power bank. There is a large zippered compartment inside the main space that will easily fir a small personal first aid kit, some granola bars, doodads and whatnots.

To meet my needs for carrying spare CCw magazines, I am going to find appropriate sized pouches, which i will mount inside the sides of the main compartment with hook and loop for easy access yet not easily visible. Once i get everything situated and sorted, i will post some pics showing the modifications i made and how it all works.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 20897

I am looking for a bag that fills the role as a camera bag , as well as a EDC/CCW bag . I generally carry a small kit .... Em1mk2 with 17mm 1.8, 25mm 1.7, 45mm 1.8 and a speedlight . I would like to be able to carry this as well as my EDC/CCW kit ...which is basically a few spare magazines , small first aid kit .

My current camera bags are either a peak design 10l or 5l sling , and don't have enough room . My EDC/CCW bag is a small Red Rock back pack ..... Neither does the other well, unfortunately . Ideally it would have compartments for both photo gear and be somewhat specialized for CCW....

I was in this situation years ago before I found an in waist band holster that I liked.

Look into the maxpedition love it bags. I liked there cross body ones. They come in varying sizes.

I had a small and medium sized ones. There is a back zippered part that you can get a ccw Velcro attachment that hold a pistol and a few spare magazines. The front compartment is just open, bit you can get a camera insert (mine was from apecase) for the camera stuff.

I blogged about it, if you are interested:
Gear Organization Series #2 – Modifying an EDC Bag For Camera Use

Also, PM me if you want to go that route, I still have one in my garage I'm not using.

Real Name
Paul
You mentioned a Red Rock back pack- I use a couple of those and just transfer Ape Cases and a soft sided lunch bag cooler between them depending on much camera gear I want with me. The larger one can hold 2 bodies and 9 lenses (including 2 embarrassingly large 4/3 SHG lenses) and a days worth of extras. I can also include a G17 but obviously it's not easily accessible; more for hunting and just in case situations. I mention all this just because the Ape Cases or something similar might get you where you want to be with your existing gear.

Real Name
Andrew Lossing
I'd feel worried sticking my carry piece into anything resembling a camera bag that might be a target for a quick grab. Of course, I also find it uncomfortable to carry on my person a lot so I don't often carry it, so maybe I should branch out from the waistband holster.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
Why the "sad" markings on my post? In 9/10 of the world, the idea of carrying lethal weapons, hidden or otherwise, sends shivers down the spine! Anyhow - I know we don't do politics here so maybe it's a topic we shouldn't delve into :).

Real Name
Adam
Why the "sad" markings on my post? In 9/10 of the world, the idea of carrying lethal weapons, hidden or otherwise, sends shivers down the spine! Anyhow - I know we don't do politics here so maybe it's a topic we shouldn't delve into :).
It could be argued that having a topic that normalises carrying weapons is itself a political statement.

Real Name
Andrew Lossing
Oh gosh, this is really where the conversation is going simply by OP asking about a bag that can carry multiple items? I suggest everyone leave the CCW factor alone, we're talking about bags. Otherwise thread lockage is quite likely to occur! Let's be nice here.

Taurahe

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Brandon
Oh gosh, this is really where the conversation is going simply by OP asking about a bag that can carry multiple items? I suggest everyone leave the CCW factor alone, we're talking about bags. Otherwise thread lockage is quite likely to occur! Let's be nice here.

I'd feel worried sticking my carry piece into anything resembling a camera bag that might be a target for a quick grab. Of course, I also find it uncomfortable to carry on my person a lot so I don't often carry it, so maybe I should branch out from the waistband holster.

I dont carry in the bag, but i do carry spare magazines in the bag when possible. My CCw is always on my person and concealed.

Wisertime

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Steve
I dont carry in the bag, but i do carry spare magazines in the bag when possible. My CCw is always on my person and concealed.
My main camera bag looks like an Ammo pack, but is loaded with cameras and lenses. That way if anyone wants to mug me they'll think I'm carrying, when I really just have a camera...lol...:biggrin:.I'm kidding...I just wanted a sling type bag...but maybe this might work for you? Has lots of compartments, hidden zippers. I even use the mesh bag for a water bottle if it's hot out.

s-l1600.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Taurahe

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Brandon

Not to open a debate or off topic discussion, but those shivers are created, or abated, by ones duty to self preservation. If i am correct, knife crimes are common in the UK. Here, unfortunately, it is guns. You dont fight fire with a stick....

Taurahe

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Brandon
My main camera bag looks like an Ammo pack, but is loaded with cameras and lenses. That way if anyone wants to mug me they'll think I'm carrying, when I really just have a camera...lol...:biggrin:.I'm kidding...I just wanted a sling type bag...but maybe this might work for you? Has lots of compartments, hidden zippers. I even use the mesh bag for a water bottle if it's hot out.

View attachment 739967
I have actually been looking at some of this style sling bag, but i kind of want to get away from the sling bag if i can. I have carried them for a very long time, and backpacks of the proper size and configuration seem to be where i am leaning. that said, i am using a very lightweight sling bag as a "bag in a bag" for carrying my camerra gear in my back pack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom