Camera Bag (backpack) and Carry on

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by mtipton1064, Nov 30, 2014.

1. mtipton1064

mtipton1064 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2013
    I am looking for a camera backpack that I can also use as a carry on for air travel. I need to be able to stow a OMD-EM5 and several lenses. But I also need to carry my iPad and misc carry on stuff. Such as my meds, passport, cords, and the misc crap that I want to have on hand when I fly. I normally check my clothing and such. Up to now I have used a small backpack with my camera and lenses in individual bags inside the backpack.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43
  2. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    there are dozens of bags that would work well for what you describe. I would personally suggest the LowePro DSLR Video Fastpack 150 or 250. I have the 250 ( and it works well with an SLR, several lenses, and 13" macbook. The 150 ( will fit an SLR and 13" macbook also, but quite snugly, so it's more appropriately sized for a m4/3 kit if you want to keep things small.
  3. O2BanRRT

O2BanRRT Mu-43 Regular

Jun 25, 2012
    Waterloo, Ontario (Canada)
    + 1 - I have been using the LowePro Video Fastpack 250 AW to great satisfaction. It is bigger than strictly needed form my GX7 system but the extra space is put to good use when travelling.
  4. pmpup4p3

pmpup4p3 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 23, 2014
    I just purchased a Lowepro Photo Hatchback 16L AW, seems to fit your needs, take a look:
    It's great quality material and has a nice hidden surprise for when rain starts, a rain cover stashed on an outside under-pocket.
    It's a bit big for my GX7 setup, but as Jean puts it, when travelling it will be used for sure, be it with chargers, cables, etc...
  5. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    Like many, I am also on the quest for the perfect bag.

Last spring I ran across an interesting bag on CraigsList. It was a name brand, Tenba, LowePro, etc. and actually consisted of two bags: a day pack and a large belt type camera bag. The two simply clipped together. When clipped, it was just like carrying/wearing any day pack but when shooting I just unclipped the camera bag and used it alone on its belt. This worked pretty well on a trip to Central America with two GX7s and five or six lenses. The concept was definitely good, execution was a little clumsy, but the belt pack was too big/too much padding for me.

So I am headed to Ethiopia in January with Version II. This comprises a medium-sized pack (similar to this bag but with backpack straps: and a (discontinued) f.64 waistpack. ( The waistpack fits perfectly at the bottom of the main pack compartment and there is plenty of room for other junk, computers, etc. It features two removable side-pockets that will go into my overhead bin carry-on and be reattached as necessary. The disadvantage from Version I is that it is not as easy to separate the two pieces but that is an acceptable tradeoff for me.

So maybe an option based in this approach would work for you.

Ack! I never carry my passport anywhere but on my person and I usually carry my wife's as well since often her only carrying option is her steal-able purse.
  6. SojiOkita

SojiOkita Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2014
    I bought the Photo Hatchback 22L, and it's a very nice bag.
    The only thing I don't like with it is that there are not enough dividers for micro four thirds gear... I will add DIY dividers.

It's not a very big bag (exterior dimensions), but there is no space wasted in the photo compartment (many bags that are conceived for dslr and are too deep for m43 lenses).
    The top compartment is quite big + there is a nice pocket where you can fit, for example, a tablet.

I can put (in the photo compartment): EM-10 + 25 f/1.4 ; GM1 + 12-32 ; 14 mm ; 45-150 mm ; 7.5 mm fisheye.
    I still have room for a 9-18 + some filters.
  7. cgomez

cgomez Mu-43 Regular

Dec 17, 2013
    I was crossed between the Lowepro ProTactic and the Pelican 1510 today. I ended up purchasing the Pelican as I already have a few bags but I think I'll eventually spring for the ProTactic at some point.
  8. mtipton1064

mtipton1064 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2013
    Thanks for the input. I am telling my wife that I would like a Lowepro Hatchback 22L AW for Christmas. It like just the thing that I am looking for.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43
  9. diableri

diableri Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2014
    Central CA
    I use one of these:

I gave a few brief impressions here if you are interested:

After having it for many trips, I'm still pretty happy. It's small, light and offers great travel features. I've only had it loaded with EM-1 and three lenses, charger and misc other items you'd expect traveling. The third lens gets it packed up pretty well but for the most part I carry my camera with a lens on out and only need to pack tight for the airlines. It's also very easy to swing down and switch lenses (something I dislike about twin strap packs). I've had this thing on for more than ten hours of walking without too much trouble as well.

It is small though so keep that in mind depending on what you need to pack up.

Good hunting on the bag. It's something I think most of us struggle with.
  10. evilnim

evilnim Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2012
    Mindshift panorama rotation 180.

Incredible bag. Check it out - might fit your bill. Certainly fits mine for airline carry on.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app
  11. EMC

EMC Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2013
    Garden Grove, Calif.
  12. diableri

diableri Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2014
    Central CA
    I actually have this bag as well and really like it depending on which type of traveling I'm doing. I use this one when I'm hiking only. It's become by overnight or two night backpack. I do use a smaller bag when I'm city traveling though but that's just a practical part of me not carrying anything more than I absolutely need. Good bag though, very happy with it so far.
  13. Kenny

Kenny Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    KL Malaysia
  14. RickinAust

RickinAust Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2013
    You might want to look at the Lowepro Versapack 200 AW. This has two compartments (this is the reason I got it for travelling) a lower one for your camera gear. I can get all my gear except the EPM2 in the lower compartment (if I want to take the EPM2 I just put it in the upper compartment) and use the top one for other stuff. I used it when I went to Asia and Europe on holidays and it worked great, although I do tend to travel light. Another feature is that the zips open to the bottom of the pack so that you can move the pack to the side and undo one side and grab your camera without having to undo the whole pack.
    Some links:
  15. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Also F-stop gear - mountain series (Loka is carry on legal) if you want a more outdoorsy hiking pack, or the Millar series (which they seem to be relaunching or something) for more classic looking, un-camera backpack bags