1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Camera bag and socializing.

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by battleaxe, Dec 14, 2013.

1. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

So, I am wondering how many of take a camera bag with you during casual/less formal social outings. Like say you go to a pub or restaurant, and you carry your camera bag, like a person would carry their purse. The camera maybe in there, but you also say have other stuff in there like maybe cologne/perfume, gum, wallet, and so forth. Is it awkward for you or others you that you brought along say a medium size camera bag?

I ask, because I am thinking about using my camera bag(Domke F803 wax edition) as sort of my be all bag. I already use it as my work bag as I can easily fit my notebook with charger, GF3+14mm, blower, filter, hood, and phone charger easily. But, I am thinking why not when I am out at social events, and adjust what put in there based on activity. Is that a bit overdoing it and abnormal from social norms, or are there people here who do that? If I did that, part of me would want me to bring my Sony A57 for the better high ISO capabilities(and IS since my m4/3 combo lacks it), but that seems a bit invasive?

2. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    I take my camera bag just about everywhere I go. Inside there is usually one body (E-M1 currently), several lenses & filters (Oly 12-40, 45 Panny 25 & 7-14), the little accessory flash and lately a smallish on-camera LED panel... This all fits into a very discreet little Timbuk2 "messenger" bag. Way to go... :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  3. darcius1

darcius1 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    Sandwich Isles
    I keep my EM1 and EM5 with me all the time with my 12,20 and 45 lenses. Work, going out for dinner, church, family and social gatherings.

• Like Like x 1
  4. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    I usually stick with my E-PM1 and the 20mm - fits into a jacket pocket and its easy to palm but keep safe on a wrist-strap. Alternatively, I just stuff it into the front pocket of my small day-pack (wrapped in a micro-fibre cleaning cloth or sun-hat for some added padding).

5. Fred49

Fred49 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2010
    FRance
    I take my EM1 +12-40 +75 about everywhere in a domke F802, wich leaves plenty of room for other things in the bag.
    If i have photo in mind i add EM5,25/45/60/75-300
    14-45 and 14-150 not being used since i bought the 12-40 but I am not decided about wich lens ill keep / sell

6. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    My bag is a Lowepro Passport Sling. What's great is that the camera dividers are held in by velcro and so I just rip the whole thing out when I want to use the bag just as a messenger bag for the day.

Before that I had a nice Courser messenger camera bag that did the same thing, just without the velcro. Very handy.

7. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    Take the camera, bag, whatever. Don't worry too much about what other people think. Some people will think its weird, sure. You just have to own it!

I recently went to an outdoor concert carrying a small man purse for two or three lenses. Threw my wife's wallet and some other little things in there as well, so it was quite practical. Felt a little weird... decided I didn't care. :)

• Like Like x 8
  8. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Seriously, don't worry about it too much - carry whatever you feel comfortable with.

Before I even got into photography I carried a bag all the time anyway, which had an assortment of stuff in it for everyday occurrences. Friends and family sometimes joked about my "man purse", but it's hard to tease too much when someone keeps producing useful items like band-aids, safety pins, tape, hand sanitizer, tissues, flashlight, screwdriver...

Anyway, as someone that has carried around a camera or shoulder bag many times, it's really not a big deal unless you feel self-conscious about it. Most of the time if I'm at someone's house if I bring the bag I just drop it in a corner, or at a restaurant hang it over the back of a chair etc. People quickly get used to the fact that you carry a camera/bag with you and teasing aside, most people do appreciate the pictures later!

Having said all that, plenty of times if I'm just going out for dinner I don't even bother with a bag. I pick one lens and just sling the camera over my shoulder with a strap, put a lens pen and maybe a spare battery/SD card in a pocket. Whatever works :smile:

• Like Like x 2
  9. natex

natex Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 22, 2011
    I like your style dude.

• Like Like x 1
  10. mievil

mievil Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2013
    San Diego
    I used to think about this all the time. Then, we had a kid. I tried to get my wife to buy a nice unisex styled diaper bag. Now, whenever we go out as a family, I'm wearing a super feminine diaper bag while my wife and child wander around free.

Since I got used to wearing a diaper bag murse thing, I would be totally cool with a camera bag. In fact I need to check one out. I usually dump everything into a backpack so I can have my tripod stuffed into the water bottle pouch on the side. But that doesn't allow me easy access to my lenses.

How do you guys deal with a tripod since I always carry one with me on the go?

• Like Like x 2
  11. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Yep, that's become my current mode of operation; the E-M5 with 20mm mounted, a lens pen in the shirt pocket and a spare battery and card in a pants pocket.

Before I retired I carried a Tenba Messenger Bag

http://www.amazon.com/Tenba-638-222...7038409&sr=1-1&keywords=tenba+messenger+small

which held pretty much everything I needed to get through a day. Where I went, the bag went.

Now the Tenba is, like me, retired and my bag of choice for a day shoot is a Domke F-3X

http://www.amazon.com/Domke-700-30D...TF8&qid=1387038676&sr=1-4&keywords=domke+f-3x

but it doesn't go on pure social event days.

For social events I don't like schlepping a bag; the camera on a sling is easier (YMMV).

I do get asked frequently if I "carry a camera everywhere" - from strangers. Apparently walking around with a telephone isn't odd, but a camera raises eyebrows :confused:.

However I'd recommend not worrying about social norms or others opinions - if ya wanna schlep a bag, schlep a bag. Ya wanna shoot with the A57, shoot with the A57 already.

You're already a photographer, you can't get much weirder than that :biggrin:.

Regards,

Jim

• Like Like x 1
  12. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I went through the same thought process a while back over hats. I really like fedoras and wide brim hats, the kind that are NOT currently in style and haven't been since the '50s or so. For the longest time I didn't wear one and then finally at some point decided I was old enough to not care anymore, and I wore one all the time for a couple years. I got odd looks sometimes but also compliments, and it became a bit of a trademark of mine too, kinda fun. Sadly I haven't been wearing one lately, but only because the brim gets in the way of a viewfinder! :wink:

Hahaha. We don't even have kids yet and I've already picked out the "diaper bag" I plan to buy (a Maxpedition versipack that's appropriately rugged and manly), so I don't end up with a floral print bag or something with little bunnies on it. :biggrin:

On the tripod: the Timbuk2 Snoop Messenger has straps on the bottom for a tripod, and it's a good bag. It's waterproof (I've stood out in the rain with it for several hours and everything stayed safe and dry), basic messenger style, and the camera insert works great. The insert is removable and I use it in lots of other bags.

I get comments about a camera sometimes too, especially with my Fuji X100S people ask if it's a film camera, if I'm a photographer (no, I just like the weight around my neck...). But usually it's in a positive sense of interest & curiosity.

+1 for not worrying about norms too. People might think it's weird that you bring a camera everywhere - I get that too. But the proof is in the results. If that camera around your neck turns into fun candid photos of you and your friends, it's great. I enjoy capturing moments with a camera anyway, and it's that much more fun when people appreciate it enough to use your shots for profile pics, share with their friends, make prints, etc.

• Like Like x 6
  13. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Yep, me too. Although these days (when EVERY day is "casual Friday" :biggrin:) I generally wear a Tilley hat. The flexible brim doesn't get in the way of the viewfinder so much. When working I tended towards fedoras... We don't have a major camera store in Detroit, but we do have an absolute world class hatter:

https://www.henrythehatterdetroit.com/

(Disclaimer: I have no financial interest in Henry's).

Regards,

Jim

• Like Like x 1
  14. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    And that is why I have worn a Basque Beret for the past 20+ years in cold weather. My head stays warm, and no brim to get in the way. And while it has become my "trademark" (and get me a fair number of compliments), I mostly wear it because it is cold without a hat.

And to the OP, I have had an 803 for a number of years, and used it quite a bit as a daily/travel bag. If anybody asks, its a satchel! Alternately, I also have a number of Tom Bihn bags that I use along with my Domke bags. His gear is top notch, and locally made (Seattle). Have a look to see if he has a bag that meets your needs/style: http://www.tombihn.com .

--Ken

• Like Like x 1
  15. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay

Haha - I'm in good company :smile:

Jim, if I ever made it out to Detroit again I will definitely check out Henry's!

16. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Camera and no bag... The guy with the newsboy hat.....

Sent from mobile.... excuse my typos

• Like Like x 1
  17. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    And after you pick up your hat at Henry the Hatter, you can brave the cold and walk over to Lafayette Coney Island for a Loose Hamburger, a Single with everything, and an order of Coney fries if you are still hungry! And then you can head off to photograph around the city! I do not miss the bitter cold weather, but I do miss my favorite foods from having grown up just outside of Detroit.

--Ken

• Like Like x 3
  18. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Yep, not much floor space at Henry's or at Lafayette but when you're sellin' hats 'n dawgs you don't need much :biggrin:.

Not cold here yet, got down to 6 degrees Fahrenheit the other night and I've pushed about 5" of snow off of the driveway so far today. Cold should hit us the 2nd week of January or so.

Oh - and don't forget to pickup a Vernor's while you're here takin' pics :biggrin:.

(With apologies to the O.P. for hijacking the thread).

(And there are parts of Detroit where I would not recommend carrying a bag of any kind. You might accidentally "lose" it while taking pics. :eek:).

With a tip o' the hat to the O.P.,

Regards,

Jim

• Like Like x 1
  19. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I take a Billingham Hadley Pro everywhere I go. My friends are surprised if I don't have it with me. Occasionally I'll just have a camera slung over a shoulder but I don't like things (keys, phone) in my pockets. So a camera bag suits perfectly.

No hat. I still have hair. :)

Gordon

p.s. for some reason nothing is more attractive to the ladies than a bloke with either a baby or a puppy. Carry that girly nappy bag with pride, I say.

• Like Like x 1
  20. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

I can agree with Coneys as I took a trip to Detroit and Ann Arbor a few years back in early April. There was also this BBQ place(Slows I think it was called) I went to that had one of the best mac and cheeses I've had. It was near some really colorful graffiti, and was with the G2 and two lens in Lowpro sling backpack at the time, so I did get a decent night shot.

Well since it's my first time meeting these people I don't want to look too odd, but then again I pretty much carry a GF3 with the 14mm glued on with my all the time and people ask my why. I am liking the conversation going on in this thread. Thank you. Now to decide weather to bring the GF3 or A57. Size and fast lens vs capability.

And no apologies needed, I like hearing about other cities, specially places I actually visited(and would like to visit again).

• Like Like x 1