Camera and lenses for Japan sightseeing trip in January 2014

sin77

Mu-43 Veteran
I have D7100 with a couple of lenses as well as an Olympus E-PM2 with 14-42 EZ, PL45 and Sigma 60 f2.8.

I intend to take daylight Mt Fuji landscape, night time Tokyo City and plenty of selfies. I would expect plenty of snow in January.

D7100 is out of question as it is heavy and can hardly take selfies.

Now my questions are, should I get a selfie camera like epl6/epl7 or just mount a monopod selfie stick on my epm2? The money saved from not buying another camera could get me an ultra wide angle lens, though losing out on compactness.

Are there any other good micro4/3 cameras that can do selfies?

Or should I get Stylus 1 that covers a wide range of focal length? Very handy, light and no other lenses to bring.

I have thought of GM1 as well since it is very small and light. In fact I like Panasonic interface than Olympus, and I don't know how well epm2 can perform in snowy scenery. The highlights always blown against bright sky and the faces shot at home are too red.

Any advice will be appreciated.

T N Args

Agent Photocateur
Real Name
call me Arg
May I be so bold as to assume January 2015? :biggrin:

The GH and G series Lumix bodies 'do selfies'. So do passing strangers; in fact, their photos of you are higher quality because you are more than arm's length from the lens and your arm is not ruining the shot and your face isn't all twisted towards your extended arm and you will take less selfies this way which will enhance your trip catalog immensely. :rolleyes:

pellicle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
pellicle
Hi

for a starter, any camera and lens will do ... its your imagination and your ability to see that makes good pictues

I intend to take daylight Mt Fuji landscape, night time Tokyo City and plenty of selfies. I would expect plenty of snow in January.

won't be seeing much snow in Tokyo ... but some slurry and mush for sure. It will be icy and some places (like Ochanomizu near Akihabara) will be deadly slippery.

Now my questions are, should I get a selfie camera like epl6/epl7

dunno ... never liked the Oly cameras because I've always been a tilt swivel screen fella (well since the Coolpix 950 back in 2001 anyway) and have stayed with G1 and GH1 for that reason ... perfect for selfies. Never understood why anyone wouldn't demand such a screen ... but there you go.

The money saved from not buying another camera could get me an ultra wide angle lens, though losing out on compactness.

I have no idea what you mean by the losing compactness, for instance:
http://www.four-thirds.org/en/microft/single.html#i_008mm_f035_panasonic

as you see is very compact. I also like the 14mm f2.5 with the GWC1 (x0.79 converter) that essentially turns the lens into a 11mm. Awfully compact. For instance on my GF1:

GF+14+0.79.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

it of course pops off and slips into a pocket for when just using the 14mm (video below)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HZa3H4V1-Ic

... it works out to be an extraordinarily light bright and cheap combo. Some thoughts on it on my blog

Are there any other good micro4/3 cameras that can do selfies?

well almost all the Panasonic cameras ... starting with the G1 and moving on through history.

Personally I'd be inclined towards taking the GM1 you have (although do you have one or are you just thinking of one? if you don't have one just go grab a GF1 or GF2 for $100 and be done with it) and if you already have the 12-32mm then that'll be perfect. Toss in a 45-200mm for those times when you want the extra reach and with those two lenses you've about got it nailed ... if you really want to get some wide angle stuff then the 8mm as mentioned is cool and compact too. If you don't have that then my choice today would be:
*14mm f2.5 (with the 0.79 adapter)
*20mm f1.7
*45-200mm
and a GF1 or G1 (or a GH1 if you wanted more video). You can then grab a few cheapie batteries and be set for not even needing a charger.

Also you can do a lot with a "normal" (meaning 50mm equivalent, such as the 20mm) lens if you look with your photographic eye ... all these are around Yushima and Bunkyoku (near Ueno) and taken with a 'normal' using film back when I lived there

7004568-md.jpg

6459563-md.jpg

6459681-md.jpg

6459544-md.jpg

I hope you enjoy the place :)

arentol

Mu-43 Veteran
Forget the camera.... What do I have to do to get a ride in your time machine?

sin77

Mu-43 Veteran
May I be so bold as to assume January 2015? :biggrin:

The GH and G series Lumix bodies 'do selfies'. So do passing strangers; in fact, their photos of you are higher quality because you are more than arm's length from the lens and your arm is not ruining the shot and your face isn't all twisted towards your extended arm and you will take less selfies this way which will enhance your trip catalog immensely. :rolleyes:
Your assumption is correct. I can't do time travel.

As for selfie, I am thinking of getting a selfie stick to use with EPL6. Just not sure if the stick will break or my hands will have a cramp.

sin77

Mu-43 Veteran
Should I even be considering the Sony rx100 iii? It is a selfie camera with 1 inch sensor and fast lens.

usayit

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
you are more than arm's length from the lens and your arm is not ruining the shot and your face isn't all twisted towards your extended arm and you will take less selfies this way which will enhance your trip catalog immensely. :rolleyes:

T N Args has a point. If it were me (not that I do much selfies), I would set the kit lens to 14mm mount on a monopod (equipped with a ball head) and use that monopod extended as an extension of your arm. That way you get yourself plus a good amount of background which speaks to the context of the selfie. It will be a whole lot better than a big-nosed-frame-in-face-mug-shot that is typical. You can do this with any camera.

Latest threads

Top Bottom