Camera and lens rental

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by burdickjp, Jun 16, 2013.

1. burdickjp

burdickjp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2013
    My wife and I are looking at renting some micro four-thirds hardware for an upcoming trip. I'm trying to get her out of her Canons so I can 'borrow' lenses when she's not using them ;)

I see several places online which rent said hardware. Any suggestions as to good or bad places to rent from?
  2. dagaleaa

dagaleaa Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 4, 2011
    Naples, Fl
    Rent professional cameras or camera lenses for Canon, Nikon, Sony, Olympus, Leica and Pentax I have used this company many times. I have never had a problem with anything, and have really enjoyed trying out new equipment. - Rent Lenses and Cameras from Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Sony, Leica, and more I have not tried this company yet, but I hear good things.

One of my favorite things to do is borrow a specific lens when going on vacation....I have a new area to photograph, and having a new lens to play with just makes it fun!!!
  3. burdickjp

burdickjp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2013
    LensRentals looks to have a better selection. I hope they have the E-P5 available soon. I'll likely rent that. Now to decide between the Nokton 25mm or the Leica 25mm. I prefer manual lenses, but I'm curious to see how capable the Leica is, and if it'd be worth the difference in price.

The wife wants to try the OM-D E-M5. I'd like recommendations for lenses to go with it. Wife wants to play with a fisheye, a lens which includes normal range, and a telephoto.

Thanks, guys!
  4. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    I'm just finishing up renting the 7-14 from I'm sending it back today. The entire process was very easy. The return label is included so I just have to drop it off at the local FedEx. I'm glad I rented this lens (instead of buying it) because I don't think I would use it often enough to justify the cost.
  5. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    I rented a lens from LensRentals a couple of years ago and the process was easy as pie. I would have no problems using them again.

I don't have any personal experience with BorrowLenses, but they have a solid reputation and I've never heard or read any of any problems with them.

LensRentals does have a wider selection than BorrowLenses.
  6. ajm80031

ajm80031 Mu-43 Regular

Good experience with LensRentals

I've done several rentals with LensRentals recently and have been quite pleased with them. I did have an issue with one delivery (LensRentals shipped the order out with an extra day to spare but FedEx Ground still failed to deliver it on the specified date) but that was an issue with the delivery company, and LensRentals worked with me to make sure I still was able to keep the gear long enough for my needs. As this could happen with any company (since they are all reliant on the same few big delivery companies), if you absolutely need the equipment by a particular date I suggest you schedule it to arrive a day early just in case.

The equipment from LensRentals arrived in good working order and well packed. They include a return shipping label, so when you send the equipment back you just box it back up and slap the label on and drop it off with the appropriate carrier.

I'm currently waiting on them to get the G6 into stock (listed as 'call for availability') on their web site; they hadn't yet received any the last time I contacted them about it. It's (hopefully) the last camera I need to try out before deciding on what I'm going to purchase to replace my old GH1.