Camera and Lens Organization/Storage

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by TwoWheels, Aug 27, 2015.

1. TwoWheels

TwoWheels Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 28, 2014
    British Columbia
    I need to find a better way to store my cameras, lenses and accessories. I have multiple systems, bodies, lenses and camera bags. I've tried keeping things loaded in bags and ready to go, but I always had the wrong things in the wrong bags for any given outing. Currently, I'm just keeping things half in bags and half sitting on a shelf. In addition, the shelf isn't anywhere near my computer desk which is where I frequently unload my camera bag. I'm a very neat and organized person by nature, so this isn't working for me. :hmmm: It's really both a process issue and a physical storage issue. I'm sure there are better systems/storage units out there. What works well for you? Any good pictures of shelves, cabinets or other storage units that you use and like?
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Kalifornier

Kalifornier Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 29, 2014
    Maybe depending on the space you have, something like this could work? Each drawer for a different system? I just use drawers below TV unit for all photo stuff. But I only have m43 so it's easier. Small Ikea boxes hold batteries, chargers, cables, filters, etc.
  3. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    • Like Like x 2
  4. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    I bought one of these last year

found it very useful - the shallower drawers are deep enough for micro 4/3 camera bodies, as well as my large colletion of legacy primes, the deeper ones good for DSLR's and assorted other stuff like tripod heads...

tidied up my work space considerably and saves on a lot of dusting :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    I'd go for something like tyrphoto's locking glass fronted cabinet, but maybe something like these would do.

Where I live, where it is humid and warm, we have to take care to prevent fungus growth. A glass cabinet would help, and it would also be even better if it had a dehumidifier of some sort, either an absorbant or a small incandescent bulb. Or like a damp chaser that was used for pianos.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. coffeecat

coffeecat Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Yes - I feel your pain: I have about four or five different camera bags, with stuff distributed between them, and whenever I want to go anywhere I end up emptying them on the bed to find the bits I want, then chucking them in one of the bags.

So I can't offer any advice...

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    I have some barrister bookcases in my home office with glass doors.
  8. TwoWheels

May 28, 2014
    British Columbia
    Thanks for the ideas and thoughts.

Very nice...but at a cost.

Some nice possibilities there. I like the idea of a cabinet with a door rather than just having things on a shelf. Our cat is way too ambitious and he likes to push things off of counters and shelves. He's already destroyed one of my daughter's lenses by pulling her camera off a table with the camera strap.
  9. TwoWheels

May 28, 2014
    British Columbia
    Drawers would have some advantages, but how do you hold things in place and keep them from shifting/sliding when opening and closing the drawers. All I can think of is putting a layer of foam on the bottom with cutouts for each lens/body. Otherwise, the first time someone opens the drawer too enthusiastically, chaos and damage would ensue (yes, I have kids).
  10. ahinesdesign

ahinesdesign Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2011
    NC, USA
    I have my entire kit in a Pelican case (a 1400, its not a big kit...). I take out what I want to carry in a smaller bag, or grab the entire case if I think I need to have everything with me.
  11. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    My solution that is similar to Kevinparis's I have a Besta cabinet with draws, Ikea do some draw dividers that help. The lenses are kept in bag inserts I have in the draws and the camera bodies in soft wraps.
  12. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    Those Electronic Dry Box Cabinet look very nice. A few years ago we put together a craft room for my wife almost entirely from Ikea, the Alex and Billy series, Ikea has almost too many options.

I only have two systems, I count my LX100 as part of my m4/3 system since it replaced my GM5 and 12-32 grab kit. But they all sit on/in an office entertainment and hutch unit that matches my office furniture. I went with the entertainment unit because it is lower and deeper than a Credenza. My Nikon stuff is for events so it's all in a big roller that lays nicely in the base unit. For my m4/3 I have one bag that holds it all. Then I have a couple other smaller bags depending on what I'm doing. Everything goes back in the big bag when I got home ( most of the time :rolleyes-38: ). This helps to organize it and has the side benefit that regardless of what I buy and sell of m4/3 I try not to have any more than so fit in that one bigger bag.
  13. Gerard

Gerard Mu-43 All-Pro

May 12, 2015
    Vleuten, Utrecht
    I bought 2 boxes:

Filled each with loads and loads of silicagel packets.
    One box for legacylenses, one for body and native lens.

A small bag, where I keep all the stuff I need when on the go: batteries, remote, cleaning, a lamp, the usual suspects.

On the go, for me, is:
    On foot, body and 1 lens. Dependending on the available light I take with me my beloved sms pentax 50/1.4 or my, somewhat clinical, 12-40. Sometimes I being a spare batterie.
    On bicycle, body 1 lens. Not the 12-40. Damage control. I bought the sigma 19 for my bike rides. My bike has iTS own bag on the handle bar, I put my foto gear in a Domke protectieve wrap, works fine.
    When I have a car at my disposal than I don't limit my self and take it all.
  14. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    I have a large night stand with 2 drawers. Most of it fits in the bottom drawer...the rest goes in cases in my closet. Two bags are always packed and at the ready. My everyday kit is the em1 with 12-40 mounted and a 75mm in a tamrac velocity 6x bag. It goes with me to and from work. My other kit is an epm2 with the 12-32 or 20 usually mounted to it. It resides in a crumpler pleasure dome.
  15. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    I have most of my stuff in drawers that I've filled with foam. Not where I can take a picture at the moment, but it works well. The foam is pretty cheap if you buy from a specialty supplier online.
  16. Zarcos Palma

Zarcos Palma New to Mu-43

Great ideia...I am strulling with all my photo gear distributed along several bags..:clapping:
  17. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    I bought 2 of these for lenses. On sale they were $25 from Harbor Freight and Tool(HFT), included the pick and pluck foam:

I've got one for Nikon lenses, holding a Tamron 70-300/4-5.6, Tamron 90mm f/2.8, Nikon 24/2.8, Nikon 28-85/3.5-4.5 and Nikon 80-200/2.8D
    The other holds Olympus 17/1.8, 25/1.8, 45/1.8, 40-150/4-5.6, 75-300/4.8-6.7, 40-150/2.8 PRO and 12-40/2.8 PRO

I marked the back outside of the cases with a silver colored Sharpie. They all have locks on them if I want to use that, ready for travel or for a quick pack up into whichever bag I want to use that day.

I also had an old hard sided suitcase that I measured and ordered a pelican replacement pick and pluck foam rectangle from Amazon for $30 (it is roughly 1/3 larger than the Harbor Freight and Tool aluminum cases and I put all my camera bodies in that. Right now, I have a Nikon D300, D700, Df w/ 50/1.8D attached, Fuji X100T, Olympus OMD EM1, EM5 Mk II in there and enough room for probably 2 or three more camera bodies.

For accessories I have something similar to this:

It is not exactly that brand, also got it from HFT. The top bin is big enough to hold all the chargers, batteries, filters that I have.

There are 4 smaller trays that fit underneath and I put camera straps, smaller connector pieces. I actually removed the bottom tray and I put lens hoods, grips for my OMD cameras in there.

For lighting gear, I have a large duffle that has a rigid bottom frame, wheels and a telescoping handle. That bag holds all the light stands and umbrellas. Got it at one of those closeout specialty stores for $15.

All the small flash guns, radio triggers, connectors and whatnots, I fit in one of these I got from HomeDepot:
    I reviewed it here:

I put my Alien Bee Lights in this:

Which also accommodates all the power cables, attachments, battery and 2 - 25ft extension cords.
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  18. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I just have a set of shelves in my closet and I keep all my gear in bags on a shelf. Well If I'm honest, it's supposed to be on one shelf, but I often stack loose items on a second shelf and it grows more and more cluttered and terrible and my wife complains and then I put them in the bags.... :)

I hang empty bags on coathooks in the back of the closet.
  19. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    I've tried a couple of the solutions above and was using some shelves in a closet when our house was robbed. I like all my gear in the same location and easy to pick and choose what I need before head out. They way I stored the gear just made it all too easy for the thieves!

I now have Sears craftsman lockable tool chest with lockouts on the drawers and cabinet locks that were replaced with a more secure model and then the chest fastened to the wire shelving they sit in. I keep all of my portable gear in these including my flash gear. Dimensions are approx. 26" long, 13" high, 18" deep with three drawers, 2", 3 1/8". and 4 1/8" deep - each drawer is lined with rubber matting intended for tools which has worked very well for over 2 years.
    • Like Like x 3