Camera Advice: Considering m43?

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by RobDMB, Mar 17, 2015.

1. RobDMB

RobDMB Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2013
    I have been dabbling over the last year with a Fuji XE2 and 18-55mm and 50-200mm lens. The camera has been good but dont absolutely love it. Specifically, as a beginner/amateur I miss some of the creative controls that some other brands offer. Specifically things like Live Composite, Live Bulb, etc. Also, while I dont intentionally shoot in the rain, weather sealing is appealing to me so I can take the camera anywhere without fear. I'll never be a pro and most of my pictures will simply be on my computer or online. However, I would like the ability to print some photos when needed.

With that said, I am considering a switch to either the Em5ii or Em1 and 12-40 Pro lens. The other alternative is the Sony A7ii but the lack of lenses and general cost of lenses scars me - I also dont want the ring to get so big that I dont take it places with me.

My shoot in generally landscape/street, family photos, pets, etc. Once in a while I may take it to football game but that would not be the primary purpose.

Any advice? Would the switch be wise? Or would I miss the enhanced image quality the Fuji offers?
  2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The Fujis offer a different look, which in some ways is better, but in other ways not so different. RAW processing is a little bit more awkward. There's also the X-T1 and a whole bunch of weather sealed lenses to go with it in that system.

m4/3 will give you better AF, video, system compactness. If you're just getting one of the bigger bodies and a fast zoom or two is not going to be much difference in size or price compared to the Fujis.

I wouldn't necessarily place too much emphasis on features like Live Composite, Live Bulb, etc. While they are useful to have, you won't be using them that often. BTW a weather sealed E-M5 MK1 with Live Bulb and sensor on par with the best in m4/3 currently will be really cheap now...
  3. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    I can only speak for me, but I used to own a Fuji X-E1, 18/2, 35/1.4 and 55-200 zoom. Sold them all for a Nikon Df, then later went with an Olympus OMD EM5.
    I now also have an EM1.

The Olympus OMDs are great cameras, and where it excels most is the AF and responsiveness. They are noticeably better than the Fuji offerings, IMHO. The prime lenses are less expensive and just as good if not better than the Fuji equivalents. IQ is just fine and I routinely shoot mine up into ISO 5000. Is it a bit noisier than the Fuji might be...sure...but I could show you a bunch of ISO 3200 - 5000 images that would make you not care either.

If you learn a good post processing technique, then the OMD line can serve you well. I just got done shooting a major sporting event with the EM1/EM5 combo - over 2000 images and for all but a handful of shots - I didn't miss my FX Nikons at all, really.

If you wanted to get into m43 inexpensively, I'd look for a used EM5, get one good fast prime like the 17, 25, 45 f/1.8 and a 40-150/4-5.6 zoom. Heck even the 12-50/3.5-4.8 lens is decent, gives you a macro mode and is weather sealed as is the EM5 body.

The EM5 body can be found for around or under $500, the 40-150 used is just north of $100 and the most expensive of the prime lenses I've listed would be about $400 used. The 12-50 is around $200 used. You can build a decent kit within those price ranges.
  4. RobDMB

RobDMB Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2013
    If I go m43, I am mainly focused on the EM1 and Em5 Mark ii. I think I can live without the grip. Therefore, it seems the PDAF is the only singificant difference. I will not be using legacy lenses but may shoot some sports/ moving objects once in a while. Does the Em5ii still perform decently with moving targets?
  5. gryphon1911

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    I've no experience with the mk II, but know that the CDAF only mk 1....well....there is a reason I got the EM1 for tracking. The CDAF did not fit well with my shooting style. Too much going back and forth and got lost a lot in crowded field of view. The EM1 is more DSLR like in the way it tracks moving subjects.

If you are going to be doing any heavy sports at all, then I recommend going straight to the EM1 or getting a smaller DX DSLR...although to get quality glass is going to be more expensive and large than an equivalent m43 kit.
  6. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    Both Olympus and Fuji make great cameras as well as beautiful glass. I love the IQ and ergonomics of both and would hesitate at choosing one over the other as they're both great. I would just as soon give up my Canon rig over either the Olympus or Fuji.

My advice would be to rent either an EM1 or EM5 Mk.II with a lens or two and give it a go. It may or may not be your cup of tea. I took the plunge into m43 with the EM1 last year and have no regrets whatsoever.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    The kit you already have is excellent, both lenses are several steps above normal kit lenses, so from an image quality point of view you won't gain much moving systems.

But if weather sealing is important, the E-M1 or mark II are great choices, as is the 12-40. To get a weather sealed telephoto in m43 takes you away from the great and little 40-150 to the Pro 2.8 version at 13x the price.

However, the legacy 43 lenses, such as the 50-200, work really well on the E-M1 with the PDAF. With the MMF-3 you maintain the weather sealing and have much better performance than your current kit. (I came back to m43 from an X-T1 and 18-55 and 55-200 combo).

And since you are just learning photography, focus on the basics and don't get caught up in the art filters and such. Learn to compose and use aperture and shutter speed to get the "creative control" you are looking for.
  8. Narsuitus

Narsuitus New to Mu-43

Mar 6, 2015
    I use the Fuji X-Pro1 and the Olympus Ep3. I primarily use them for shooting available light candids at weddings. For posed shots with flash, I use an SLR.

The lenses I normally use with the Olympus include:
    1. Panasonic 14mm f/2.5
    2. Panasonic 20mm f/1.8
    3. Olympus 45mm f/1.8

The lenses I normally use with the Fuji include:
    1. Fujinon 23mm f/1.4
    2. Fujinon 56mm f/1.2

At ISO 1600 and lower, I find the difference in image quality between the two formats (APS-C vs. micro 4/3) insignificant. Both produce high quality images that I easily enlarge to 11X17 inch color or black & white prints.

At ISO 6400 and higher, I prefer the image quality produced by the Fuji.

I also have adapters that allow me to mount my Nikon F bayonet lenses and my Pentax M42 screw mount lenses on my Olympus and Fuji bodies.

I rarely shoot in a wet environment, but if rainy day shooting became routine, I would carry my underwater Nikonos film camera or buy a waterproof digital camera.

Thank goodness I do not have to eliminate my Fuji or Olympus system because it would be a hard choice. Right now, I have the luxury of switching between the two systems as needed.

IMG_6454 (2) sml.JPG
  9. RobDMB

RobDMB Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2013
    How is the quality of the Fuji 18-55mm lens versus the Olympus 12-40mm Pro. I know the Olympus is better but is it a drastic increase?
  10. gryphon1911

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    When I used to shoot Fuji, I need to stop the 18-55 down a bit to get the kind of sharpness you'll get from the Olympus at 2.8.
  11. cptobvious

cptobvious Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2013
    I would probably rent before buying, or at least keep your Fuji gear until you've used the Olympus kit for a while. There are differences like native aspect ratio, ISO performance, X-Trans vs. Bayer rendering, color rendition, and ergonomics that might sway you one way or the other.