Camel Rock, Bermagui

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by PeterB666, Oct 20, 2010.

1. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Every day the sun comes up and when you are on the East Coast of a country you need to have a camera and tripod ready. Today I am at Camel Rock (I have yet to process yesterday's sunrise so just be patient).

Still in Bermagui with my Olympus E-P1 and Olympus M.Zuiko 9-18mm lens this sequence takes you through from pre-first light to just a couple of minutes after sunrise ...

Dawn at Camel Rock 1 by peterb666, on Flickr

Dawn at Camel Rock 2 by peterb666, on Flickr

Dawn at Camel Rock 3 by peterb666, on Flickr

Dawn at Camel Rock 4 by peterb666, on Flickr

Dawn at Camel Rock 5 by peterb666, on Flickr
    • Like Like x 3
  2. walt_tbay

walt_tbay Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Wow. Once again some incredible shots. What exposure did you use? Did you make some post processing adjustments?
  3. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    wow peter. inspiring shots.
    I enjoy using this lens and I hope to get up at sunrise and play with it more. I would love to know what you do to set-up for these type of shots. I will definitely have a play on the weekend :)
    • Like Like x 1
  4. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    The first two are composite pictures done using either exposure fusion (Photomatix) or HDR (Photomatix or Adobe CS5) using very subtle tone mapping. I usually try a variety of techniques and keep the best. The trick with HDR is to be restrained and get your raw processing right first.

Exposures ranged up to 120 seconds but I don't think I used that one. They would typcially be in the range of 40 seconds to 2 seconds depending on the ambient light.

The remaining ones are single exposures and nothing really special there. A slight bit of added saturation, noise reduction and lifting the highlights. Again, quite modest changes.

As the light increased, 3-stop soft grads have been intodocued, then a 4-stop ND introduced (and one of the grads removed). Exposure is 1/30 in the last shot but I have probably reduced the ND to a 2-stop or even got rid of it to get a faster shutter speed in that one.

• Like Like x 1