Came over to say hi and....

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
what type of photography will the m43 system be used for?

If you stick a big tele on there, the body size becomes less of a relative issue

G9 is the best body for stills; best ergonomically but BIGGER than a D5300 (!!); in some ways the AF is better than a Nikon

GX9 is nice and small; with IQ as good as the G9
GX85 is nice and cheap; IQ is nearly as good as the GX9 - neither is weather sealed

- one of the above plus the great 12-60 Panasonic-Leica zoom will give you a small kit that will not make you miss a D800 with the high end 24-70 zoom on it... much less the 24-120

you will have to use exposure stacking routinely for any landscape with the sky in it - I re-assemble in post
- with a D850 you need to do it only if the scene is "difficult"

for portraits, you lose the ability to use the DC lenses; otherwise the Oly "soft bokeh" lens looks to be better than anything else out there

for macro, I find m43 generally better due to the ease of in-body focus stacking; I have the 45mm (90 in FF) PL macro, tho the Oly 60mm (120 FF) macro is apparently a bit better
- you give up the 2 tele macro AF-D lenses; the 1:1 200mm and the macro-zoom they used to make (which went to 0.77x)

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
I plan on keeping it, so open to suggestions as I have been getting so far. Sadly the prices in Canada are not quite as appealing at times.
Primes or zooms?
Weather sealed?
Rangefinder or SLR style? (I was an SLR shooter, but over time if I'm not shooting motion I tend to use the LCD more often than the EVF)
Price range (in US or CA)
And what do you currently have for glass that you are thinking of replacing or range you're looking to cover?

I'm a bit of gear hound, so I've used a lot of gear. I would never claim I've push the limits of what it's capable of, for reference:
DavidZvi: Gear list: Digital Photography Review
So I probably can give you some equivalent suggestions. @Jonathan F/2 would be another good reference since we've both been here and on the Cafe for a LONG time.

stevedo

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Steve Douglas
Well myself I'd like to get into politicians, but they never come in season, so being very law abiding, probably feral pigs would be the next best thing
Agreed.
I'm from the UK and watching the whole Brexit mess from South America. We have about 600 politicians that should be fair game IMHO.

GabCol

New to Mu-43
I left Nikon world (D3200 and failed attempt with D7200 - too big and complex) a year ago for M43 and have struggled a bit to find my happy place. I now have a Panasonic G9 and I absolutely love it! I also have a Panasonic GX7 for travel and am very happy with it, too. Had an Olympus but disliked the menus and ergonomics.

Apollo T.

Mu-43 Veteran
@GabCol
WELCOME TO MU—43Y
Your history is like mine. Had an Oly PEN PL1 enjoyed it mostly, moved on to Nikon D3200 bc. Of ergonomics and menus. Moved on to Panny G6. Then added Panny14-140mm mk2 Lens and I’m quite happy. I also have a bunch of Minolta mount lenses from the 1970s & 80s. Have you Tried adapting your Nikon glass to mft?

GabCol

New to Mu-43
Yes, just the Nikon 40mm macro, but I prefer the smaller m43 lenses. The G9 really feels in the hand like my D3200 did, but with much of the advanced functionality of the D7200.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom