Came over to say hi and....

Polar905

New to Mu-43
Well hello all, came over from Nikon Cafe, to see what I should be looking at to get into m43. Lots of choices and helpful info on here! Now I just need to get a body and lens .

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
choose Oly or Panasonic - Oly Pro & Pana-Leica lenses are very good

I use PL and they seem as good as any Nikkor to me - some specialty Nikkors do not exist in the m43 word, like the 200 tele-macro, etc.

WT21

Super Moderator
Welcome aboard. Just out of curiosity what Nikon do you shoot? I used Canon before m43, so I know the canon lenses, but super impressed where Nikon has been the last few years (including the Z).

Ask away about m43! And feel free to post pics in our picture section -- m43 or Nikon :)

Polar905

New to Mu-43
Well I still shoot my Nikon D300s, usually a mix of subjects - landscape, family events kids (6 & 8) sports and when I go hiking I was looking at the E M1, but the E M5ii seems interesting too. I have not looked at the Panasonic bodies yet though.

Thanks for the welcome!

Giiba

Something to someone somewhere
Well I still shoot my Nikon D300s, usually a mix of subjects - landscape, family events kids (6 & 8) sports and when I go hiking I was looking at the E M1, but the E M5ii seems interesting too. I have not looked at the Panasonic bodies yet though.

Thanks for the welcome!
The good news is any of the 16mpx or higher m43 cameras should outperform your D300, so it'll be easy to upgrade cameras.

cdmicha

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Chris
I'd say that all of the modern m43 cameras are quite capable and produce great results, it probably just comes down to what features you're most interested in having, and which camera design you like the best. In general, Panasonic is known more for hybrid capabilities, providing great video features and specs and great images as well, where Olympus is known more for image capture and options, as well as a much more distinct design style. If it's possible, I'd try to handle both and see which one you like better.

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
Welcome to mu-43 @Polar905 . If you enjoy shooting landscape, sports, etc., I would suggest looking in to an Olympus E-M1 II. It has the most current sensor with the best dynamic range and ISO performance of an Olympus camera (not going to mention the new E-M1 X). It has phase-detect AF, making it a better choice for shooting sports (The E-M5 II is pitiful in C-AF). Finally, the handling of the E-M1 II would closely mimic your D300s with a nicely sized grip.

If you do look at Panasonic bodies, take a look at the G85 and G9. The G85 is cheaper and smaller, but uses an older 16MP sensor. The G9 is newer, uses a 20MP sensor, has a nicer EVF, etc.

Going off the fact that you're still shooting with a D300s, I assume that you tend to keep your cameras for quite a while. If that's the case, I would really look at either the Olympus E-M1 II or Panasonic G9, since it buys you a bit more in terms of "future proofing" yourself.

Polar905

New to Mu-43
Thank you for all the advice, I sound clarify about sports. It is my kids sports so C-AF might not be a big priority at the moment due to their ages.and I still have my D300s kicking around.

And yes there is a rumored z5 coming but I do not want to move to FF

Wisertime

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Steve
Definitely consider the 40-150 F2.8 for the sports, portrait, general use. Stellar and have really come down in the used market $800-900

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
ok, a G9 & PannyLeica lenses will be a lot better than your D300s DX body - 10 years, and DX...
- the G9 is pretty close to the newest DX bodies

exceptions would be sports & BIF + ergonomics - the D9 is maybe the best m43 body ergonomically, but you will have to reorient from Nikon; I did

ToxicTabasco

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ToxicTabasco
I've seen some YouTube speculations on the new Nikon Z1 or somthing. They speculate based on the photos, that what appears to be a smaller lens mount could be a APSC/DX or crop sensor type mirrorless. But, not as small as the 1" and smaller sensors Nikon mirrorless had. Thus, it may require new lenses.

At any rate, the prices of the Lumix G9 is a panasonic worth looking into. There are tons of YouTube videos and reviews about its performance, and ability. Once you narrow down your choices, get your hands on them at your local camera store to see how they feel and function in your hands.

Oh, as for optics. Olympus and Panasonic both have very high quality optics that are as good as the top optics for any DSLR or other mirrorless.

Apollo T.

Mu-43 Veteran
WELCOME TO MU-43

My generalized comments are that you should look at Panny. As cdmicha noted above Pannys are well thought of for video. With kids 6&8 you’ll probably want to start shooting vids. My other rec is to Look at the Panny 14-140mm. There are 2 versions with mk1 a bit less expensive; mk2 offers a bump up in several ways, like improved image stabilization, that MAY be important to you. The link below will show you the range and versatility of that lens for stills.

Showcase Panasonic 14-140mm f/3.5-5.6

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
Are you planning on adding m4/3 to your D300s or replacing it? The D300s (with the 51 point phase AF) is still a very capable body for sports and action. So you might want to start small.

Polar905

New to Mu-43
Are you planning on adding m4/3 to your D300s or replacing it? The D300s (with the 51 point phase AF) is still a very capable body for sports and action. So you might want to start small.
I plan on keeping it, so open to suggestions as I have been getting so far. Sadly the prices in Canada are not quite as appealing at times.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom