Cambodia/Thailand Trip

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by iceren12, Nov 9, 2015.

1. iceren12

iceren12 New to Mu-43

Nov 9, 2015
    Mark M.
    Not sure if this is the right place for this, if not I apologize. My sister is taking a trip to Cambodia and Thailand next February. She recently received an Olympus E-PL3 in April for her birthday. She currently only has the 14-42mm kit lens. She'd like another lens to take with her for more variety. I'm just not sure what the best solution would be. I've got tons old of manual focus (both zooms and primes) lenses from various mounts such as FD, M39, M42, OM, Minolta MD, MC, and SR. Basically, I'm looking for suggestions for a kit that would complement her kit lens. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi,

What subjects does she like to shoot?

Barry

3. iceren12

iceren12 New to Mu-43

Nov 9, 2015
    Mark M.
    Typically portraits. But I'd imagine she'd like to be able to take a few landscapes of things such as Angkor Wat and such, but I'd think the 14mm of the kit lens should be wide enough for that.

4. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    OK... something reasonably small, with a fast aperture, in the 15-50mm range, for portraits and night/indoor shots.
    Maybe both a 25mm and a 50mm if they're small enough.

I like 12mm (or wider) for interiors of churches, etc., but there's not usually much point if the lens isn't fast (e.g. 2.8 or faster). I'm guessing your legacy lenses aren't going to be wider than 20 or 25mm though.

Barry

5. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    When I was in Cambodia two yrs ago, I would estimate that 95% of my shots were with the Panasonic 14-45 kit lens. The remainder of my shots were with the Olympus 9-18.

6. iceren12

iceren12 New to Mu-43

Nov 9, 2015
    Mark M.
    Correct, most of the lenses that I have are 20mm+, which sadly with the 2X crop factor renders them useless as a wide angle on the m4/3 platform.

7. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Yes, but at least they'll be good for portraits, interior detail shots, food, etc.

Barry

8. iceren12

iceren12 New to Mu-43

Nov 9, 2015
    Mark M.
    That's what I figured. You can actually get decent results with the kit lens. I don't think I want to invest more than I paid for the body for a lens that she won't necessarily use often enough to warrant it.

I highly doubt it's worth it, but are the C-mount lenses decent on M4/3 bodies? I've seen some that were inexpensive, but wasn't sure they were viable.

9. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Only some; you have to find one with enough sensor coverage (1inch/25mm or more). Also complicating things is there are several versions of each lens, e.g. the Fujian 35mm f1.7 comes in at least 2 versions, vastly different in coverage and/or sharpness.

If you're looking for cheap & wide, the 7.5mm fisheye (branded as Samyang/Bower/Rokinon/Wallimex/...) is $249, but can occasionally be found for about $200:
    http://www.amazon.com/Rokinon-FE75MFT-B-Fisheye-Olympus-Panasonic/dp/B005TOU804

Barry

10. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    When I visited I only took the 12-40mm and didn't ever feel like I needed more during the day, at night I used a speedbooster though (and it's certainly needed, it's generally far darker than other countries in most areas).

11. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    I don't know anything about the c mount lenses.

On another note, I was just in Myanmar a week ago and only had my 12-40 and really regretted it. I would have had more opportunities for better pics if I had brought along my 40-150/2.8. I guess I'll have to make another trip back to Myanmar soon.