1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Camano Island Trip

Discussion in 'Video to Share' started by rueru, Jan 15, 2014.

1. rueru

rueru Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 10, 2013
    I took a trip this past summer of 2013 with my cousins to Camano Island, Washington. We stayed at house on a quiet and private area of a beach overlooking Elger Bay. Here are some of the clips that I took using my Panasonic Lumix G5 (P14-45mm) and GX1 (P20mm). I used Adobe Premiere to edit and add effects to make it look like a vintage home movie. I used the song Young and Beautiful by Lana Del Rey.

Any comments or feedback would be appreciated.
    [video=youtube;lz1ioqAINTM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz1ioqAINTM&hd=1[/video]

• Like Like x 1
  2. ApGfoo

ApGfoo Mu-43 Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Bay Area
    Thanks for sharing your video, I enjoyed it. I really liked many of your landscape shots. Some I wish were longer like around the 25s mark and the 50s mark. Some goes for the shots at 2:18 and 2:39. I liked those type of shots most because the shots were fixed. It's difficult to add movement shooting hand held.

Some shots went in and out of focus so I'd either cut the clip before that happens. Also around 1:50s you panned left to right then back to left in one shot. I think I know what you tried to do there but instead just do one long sweep in one direction.

Another thing that I think would have added is to keep some sounds in. I wanted to hear the water flowing and hear the wood burn and crackle.

Cool video. You showed how it was very serene.

3. rueru

rueru Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 10, 2013
    Thanks for the feedback ApGfoo and I'm glad that you liked the video. I will do another cut with your suggestions, especially adding the sound that i've captured in some of the shots.

4. sebs_color

sebs_color Mu-43 Regular

Jan 5, 2014
    Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Sebastian
    That was so great to watch. Honestly I enjoyed the shifts in focus here and there. I do think that hearing some of the more natural sounds like the water would have been nice, but I didn't really think that until I read the reply. Initially I really like how the silence of the scenes left it up to me to fill it in.
    Regardless I think it was great. Seems like such a beautiful place.

Sent from my PM23300 using Tapatalk

5. teddoman

teddoman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2013
    nyc
    I think the in and out of focus stuff was more of a creative effect. I enjoyed seeing them.

Just shows how different video and photography are. In photography, focusing happens before the shot. In video you can make it part of a scene.

6. ApGfoo

ApGfoo Mu-43 Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Bay Area
    I agree with the coming into our of focus, it's a great effect but it was a bit overdone in my taste but that didn't bother me as much. I like it at the beginning and end of the clip as well on clips wanted to be emphasized but not on the majority.

The focus hunt in 3:11 was different. It went in and out of focus twice and that might not have been by design since it hadn't occurred elsewhere in the video.