1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Calumet Photo Closes.

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Fmrvette, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
  2. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    This is the dark side of buying from Amazon :frown:

3. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Yep - but my local brick 'n mortar doesn't carry much in the way of M4/3 gear, and what they do carry is strictly sold at full retail. :frown:

Hard as I try, I can't justify spending more on a lens locally than I would online unless I get added value, such as expert advice from the sales clerk or some such.

In Ye Olden Days of Yore and 35mm Film my brick 'n mortar offered free photo classes (which I don't really need these days, being as ancient as I am) and free film (ummmm...no) and free processing...(ummmm, again, no) on camera purchases.

Fortunately for the store there's apparently a huge market for CaNikon gear (which is what they stock most of) so they do very well without my (formerly) weekly support. (I used to drive over just to visit my money...). They don't need me :crying::crying::crying:

But B&H and Calumet and Adorama and others have been part of my photography life for so long that it's a shock when one of them passes away.

Sigh. Makes me feel old. (Which I am :wink:).

Regards,

Jim

4. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    There is one near us. I tried to buy gear at that store but each time that I went in and when the staff talked to me and I said that I shot with :43: gear, they turned me off even when I was looking at bags and lighting. Both of which I then purchased on-line.

5. marcl

marcl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    When I was looking to upgrade my E-PL1, I gave them a try. I was looking for an E-M5; they tried to sell me an E-P1 at the full original price. And with an attitude to boot. They barely had any m43 stuff. I went back a couple of times but their inventory was very limited for what I was looking for. I'm not surprised they are gone.

6. Serhan

Serhan Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    Penn Camera shops in DC were bought by Calumet after bankruptcy. They close the half of the stores. Now they are gone...

7. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Wow! This is a shock. I though Calumet had found a way to hang on. Maybe they weren't as popular as B&H here in the U.S., but I though they had carved out thier niche in certain metropolitan areas. And this is Chapter 7 - not Chapter 11 - bankruptcy. That means immediate liquidation. So it's all over for Calumet in the U.S.

8. diableri

diableri Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2014
    Central CA
    I live in central CA, metro pop 400k, county 900k. One local shop with no equipment (and I don't mean M43, I mean any CaNikonwhatever), only services there.

Nearest full equipment shop (Samy's) is 2-2.5 hours away. That's where I went to get my Em-1 and lens last month. Only option without adding gas and time to the purchase is online or big box store.

9. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I'll pay $25-$30 extra on a $500 lens simply to support local (when local has it), but when it starts to be 20-25% higher instead of 5% higher (or 10% after tax), I can't being myself to do it. At this point we have kind of dug a hole for ourselves. Most towns don't have a good local shop anymore, and I don't think they are coming back.

10. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I never dealt with them so I don't feel any personal loss. I do however feel bad for their employees who had a job one day and the next didn't. I know things can happen fast sometimes in the business world but NOT that fast. They had to know that things were not going well at least a couple of weeks ago. I also feel for any customers who had purchased items that had not been shipped.

I would be glad to support a local shop if one existed. There is nothing at all in this town other than Walmart/Target. It is 200 miles in any direction to the next biggest town. Even there there isn't much more. Albuquerque{200 miles North} has a Best Buy and a couple of small shops that are friendly but have little in stock. Lubbock{200 miles East}, Los Cruses{200 miles West} and El Paso{200 miles South} are similar to Albuquerque. Needless to say i have to order almost everything.

11. MizOre

MizOre Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    That's sad -- knew people who worked there when it was a pro camera store and who were upset with the way management was taking it then -- someone who'd been in low-end non-camera retail had been hired to manage it. Well, that's what that lead to, then.

Just got a tripod and head from B&H shipped to Nicaragua -- can't find good brands of those in Nicaragua. And shipping costs, duty, and local taxes make buying at the Sony store more and more tempting. I'll be in the US in June and will try to get another M43rds body then since getting anything here with lithium batteries is more than interesting and even more expensive than the USPS/Nicaraguan Correos that I prefer to use.

May try PriceSmart in Managua sometime to see if they have M43rds bodies, but they don't advertise them on line.

12. RakSiam

RakSiam Mu-43 Regular

Oct 11, 2013
    Apparently they missed payroll a time or two, so it can't have been much of a shock to the employees. I read an interview with a former employee who said the writing was pretty much on the wall. The stores had dwindling merchandise for a long time. I guess Nikon and Sony stopped shipping them merchandise a while ago already.

I thought it was a good thing when they stepped in to save Penn. But it was never very good after that. Little in the way of stock unless you wanted filters or accessories. I lost out on $477 in store credit they were holding. So I am doubly disappointed. They closed a day before i planned to go and cash in on it.

13. iansmith

iansmith Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2014
    I live in Berkeley and we have Looking Glass Photo who has a great selection of cameras, including a well stocked M43 selection. Pretty much all the lenses, all the latest bodies, accessories and the sales staff know about it too. I bought a 100-300 and a 60 macro from them just in the past two months.

Trust me, having a local store with good stock is NOT always good for the wallet. :)

But seriously, if you are in the area, check them out. It's great to be able to walk in and try out lenses and cameras.

• Like Like x 1
  14. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm deeply shocked and saddened to hear the news of Calumet's demise. I started "working" with them during their Bensonville days in Chicago, which then morphed into Standard Photo / Calumet Chicago soon after... Throughout the past 29 years of my career (where I worked with them in Chicago, Miami, NYC & LA) they were there like an extended family and I grew very close to several of the folks there as such. Wow. Totally bummed.

Another great American business dealt a death blow by likes of the Amazon's, B&H, Adorama's, etc. :wtf:

Folks, it's IMPORTANT to support your LOCAL retailer! Can't get a hands-on demo online!

15. diableri

diableri Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2014
    Central CA
    Berkeley is a 4 hour drive from me or a plane flight if we have to be up and back in a day. I'm only in the bay area for business with our corporate offices in SF once in a while. Santa Barbara is my choice for less cost and time but thanks for the heads up. I'll check the shop out next time I'm up there. Always nice to see a real shop.

16. Mijo

Mijo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 23, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    I'd suggest Fireside Cameras on Union St, if your in the city, they have a pretty decent selection of m4/3 gear. I'm definately going to checkout Looking Glass Photo the next time I'm in Berkeley, as I prefer to support local brick and mortar stores when economically feesible.

OT - I had been to the Calumet in SF several times and they appeared to be on the way out ever since my first visit. I think the SF store was geared more towards rentals but they didn't do a very good job in terms of stocking their store with new equipment. They were always my last local option when I needed anything related to photography as they never seemed to have what I needed in stock.