Calling all Members: About the New 'Image Threads' Tab

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by Amin Sabet, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Like many here, I don't read all the threads, and sometimes I get so caught up in the gear fascination that I miss a lot of good image threads. Other times, I enjoy an image but can't think of what to say, so I don't say anything.

Today I was reading this thread and was struck by what Joe said:

Can't argue with that. There's no rule you have to like photography to participate here, but I'm pretty sure most of us do. Let's all try and make a concerted effort to comment more often on photos, especially when we see an image thread that hasn't seen many (or any) replies.

To that effect, we have a new site tab "Image Threads" (right next to "101 Active Discussions"), which gives a list of the 200 most recent threads from our "Images to Share" forums as well as our lens sample image archive threads. If you click on that tab, it's easy to scan down the "Replies" column and see how many replies each has gotten. A thread with "0" replies doesn't mean the photos are uninteresting. It's an active board, and once threads fall from the top of the recent discussions list, they're unlike to be seen by most readers.

I hope that others will join me in checking the new tab periodically to generally be more involved in the image threads and also to catch those image threads that have slipped by unnoticed.
    • Like Like x 18
  2. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Amen. Thanks Amin!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    Great idea.

I tend to peruse the image thread more; however, it takes times to sift through the groundswell of other threads. This tab would make it easier.

4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    This is a great idea, thanks! :2thumbs:
  5. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I like that you can now get a combined list of all image threads in one place rather than needing to go into each forum individually.
  6. ante

ante Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2012
    Thanks for a great idea!

This is indeed very good! :2thumbs:

I know the feeling when there is no response... :frown:

EDIT: Oh, and I totally forgot: Cred to Livnius for bringing the subject up! :2thumbs:
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    * out of topic *

By the way Amin, I just noticed your new pic there just in time before looking at CNN on TV. U sure you're not aka Dr. Sanjay Gupta? :biggrin:
    • Like Like x 1
  8. MikeB

MikeB Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Good plan, Amin.

On a related note, the site has a nice set of sidebars on the right side of the screen, one for Latest Image Threads and one for Latest Discussions. But the Latest Discussions list also includes Image Threads. Do you think it would make sense to make Latest Discussions exclude Image threads, since they have their own list right above?
  9. Rob917

Rob917 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2011
    jacksonville, florida usa
  10. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Whoa, Amin has a new avatar.
  11. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Wow. Amin, you dropped ten years in this new avatar photo. :biggrin:

One thing I've noticed in image threads is folks responding with praise .... but not hitting the 'thanks' button? What's up with that? :confused:

(yes I am a greedy little star hoarder)
    • Like Like x 1
  12. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    being more a photographer than a gear discusser, I can only be very satisfied by this initiative !

Thanks, Amin !
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I've recently found, on Flickr at least, that if you take the time to put in a good comment about a photo(not "nice!") but something with some thought whims it, that person will take the time to really give you some good feedback as well. You just gotta be willing to get the ball rolling!
    Tally HO!!!!!!
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Great new feature, already enjoying it!
  15. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)

This is probably the best picture of me I have on hand:

I use this one for my Kik (IM) profile, and my brother said it's a lot better than my avatar was here, so there you have it :).

I've always done either/or, but I'll make sure I give you your thanks from now on :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:.
  16. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I was wondering about that. The reason I did it this way is that if there are more than 5 image threads amongst the 20 most recent discussions, then some of them wouldn't be shown at all in the right column. The last thing I want to do is make image threads less visible than gear threads.

One unrelated but important clarification: Although certain forums have only image threads, images are welcome in all forums!
  17. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Thanks for a well-thought out was a shame to see so many great images buried below rather mundane gear threads.
  18. JoepB

JoepB Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2011
  19. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    I am all for this.

Something I've noticed with a lot of members that frequent here though: I've never seen their photography! What's up with that?! Don't be shy we are a friendly bunch.
  20. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Yes! That's absolutely Grrrrrreat!