1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Calling all Computer Experts: Grebeman needs our help!

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by BBW, Jul 3, 2011.

1. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

I've been in touch with our good friend Barrie AKA Grebeman who continues to have problems with both Serious Compacts as well as Mu43. I asked him to write exactly what the problems are with as much detail as possible so that we can try to figure out what he can do, as the conventional methods of clearing his cache have not worked.

After reading, please if any of you have computer knowledge that relates - post here in the thread and then I will email Barrie with your suggestions. Many thanks in advance!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I hope you can get it sorted out Barrie. I've had heaps of trouble as well. The site has only started to behave properly since this morning in Safari 5 but takes quite awhile to load still. I've been unable to get onto the site via my iphone or even the Mu-43 app for the last few days but fortunately it seems ok now. Unresponsive server errors have been my trouble.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    This is due to a new service we are using for security/performance called CloudFlare. Barrie might want to run a virus/spyware scan on his machines. In the meanwhile, I lowered our security setting to prevent false positives, so hopefully this problem has gone away.

The login issue is probably due to our DNS propagation issue, which has resolved for most people but may take longer for others. The solution for this is to wait it out. There's nothing else I can do.

• Like Like x 3
  4. BBW

Appreciate the responses and have forwarded and will forward all onto Barrie.

• Like Like x 1
  5. hanzo

hanzo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 22, 2010
    Chan
    I doubt the virus existence since he is using Linux ?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    His Linux system won't have malware, but if he's attempted access from any other machine on the network which is affected, CloudFlare could block the whole network.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Mu-43 App

7. BBW

Right, pdh brought this up on SC..about malware not being an issue due to Barrie's access and Barrie's response was
    However pdh also brought up something about checking off the box "remember me", which Barrie said he'd try.

I will pass on your latest response, Amin re "any other machine".

• Like Like x 1
  8. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    Hi everyone, ticking the "remember me" box over at SC has worked for that site, and now I seem to be in here and hopefully hanging in using the same tick box remedy, a great debt of thanks to pdh over at SC.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

Barrie

• Like Like x 1
  9. BBW

10. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    Barrie
    I have to say that I don't understand the full implications of this statement Amin, taken at face value it sounds as though disaster could strike by one false move on my part, and I really don't want that sort of power :biggrin:

I am running from home with no local network set up, does your network reference refer to a local home or private network, or does it cover something larger?

Having said that I've been on here now for a couple of minutes and CloudFlare hasn't reared it's head, yet!

Barrie

• Like Like x 1
  11. sphexx

sphexx Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2010
    Harrogate, Yorkshire
    Both sites inaccessible for 2 or 3 days but OK now. I am in UK like grebeman but Intel Mac OS X 10.6.8 using Safari/Chrome/Firefox/Opera [all latest]. Home computer. I knew the sites were working because I have no problems reading the posts via the RSS feed [Google Reader] but individual posts would not open in new tabs to read the thread -- 404 not found each time. No problems with any other sites in general.

12. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    You should be okay on our sites now, Barrie. I lowered the security setting. You may want to run a virus/spyware scan on your Windows machine(s) just to be sure.

That is because of our DNS propagation issue. If it is working now, it ought to continue to work. Some people have been affected longer than others by this, and I apologize for the inconvenience, but there is nothing I can do to speed up the propagation.

• Like Like x 3
  13. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    Barrie
    Amin, I normally wouldn't put my windows machine anywhere near the web, I just used it to see if I could access the site to try and eliminate my other system as being at fault.
    I've kept it to run Photoshop 7 and a printer off it since the drivers produce much better prints than with Linux.
    Once again may I extend my heartfelt gratitude for all your efforts with this site and over at SC, the last few days have no doubt been difficult. You've brought together a great many people who have formed a wonderful forum, thank you so much, and have a good day tomorrow, celebrating some special day I believe.

Barrie

• Like Like x 2
  14. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Barry,

Good to see you back!

Amin, did the IP address of the sites actually change when they came back up?

• Like Like x 1
  15. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    Barrie
    Thanks Jason, it's good to be back.

Barrie

16. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    Barrie
    Yippee, just successfully negotiated CloudFlare in order to upload some photographs, phew.

Barrie

17. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    Welcome back!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Dj, no the IP address of the sites did not change. The name servers changed (twice).

19. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    On my end of things, now that the DNS issue has passed, CloudFlare actually seems to have sped up the sites. Seems to me that pages are loading faster than before.

• Like Like x 1