1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

'Call Me Stupid But....'

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by RT_Panther, Nov 21, 2012.

1. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I just picked up an FL-300R over the FL-36R.....:redface:

Size was a major factor in me converting to Micro Four Thirds format - can't do this with the FL-36R....

2. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    No, Panther, I gotta go with ya on this one. Of course Joe McNally might have a different viewpoint :biggrin:.

I started out with the :43: kit to reduce the load, found myself replicating my D300 setup (grip, 45-200mm lens, etc.) and stopped. I'm being much more size/weight sensitive now, and like you a large flash would not fit my purpose. I removed the grip and only mount it when using the 45-200 lens for the balance now.

I have an FL-300R, but I've not used it other than to fire it to make sure it worked out of the box. (It came free with the EM-5 body).

I think you have stayed on the path of wisdom, Grasshopper. :2thumbs:

Congratulations on your new acquisition - post some pics???

Regards,

Jim

3. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Okay, "Stupid But ..." ... now what?

Unlike Jim, I started duplication of my FF system and I haven't stopped. Just picked up the 35-100 yesterday. No matter what you do, the µ4/3 will be smaller and lighter than an equally equipped dSLR. Good luck with that flash. I just picked up a Nissen.

G

4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Gary,
    I might disagree a bit with this in the flash department.

- Nikon SB400 compares somewhat to the FL-300R and yep, the FL is smaller & lighter

But once you start moving up, (FL-36R/FL-600R), you're essentially putting a DSLR flash on a MFT body.....

5. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Okay, you win. I hate flash cuz I don't know how to use one. So I jack up the ISO and create this vicious circle thing with not using flash. I believe you cuz I don't know a thing 'bout flash. I can use one well enough to get a rotten, flashy looking picture, but its a rotten flashy looking picture. (I do okay with fill.)

You guys gotta teach me ... arrrghhh ... flash. (Oh the inhumanity of it all ...)

Gary

6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    LoL, well here's what I have in my tiny Thinktank Retrospective 5 bag:

*E-PL5
    *M. Zuiko 75 ƒ1.8
    *M. Zuiko 45 ƒ1.8
    *M. Zuiko 17 ƒ2.8
    *Leica DG Summilux 25mm ƒ1.4
    *VF-2 View Finder
    *FL-300R Flash
    *ND filters for all the above
    *CP filters for all the above
    *Lens cleaning cloth

:smile:

• Like Like x 2
  7. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Flash? What's flash? :biggrin:

8. dogs100

dogs100 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    Geoff
    I thought you Essex boys knew all about flash ... :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Not now John! It's not socially acceptable to flash! :tongue:

Actually, I did find the FL50(R) on E-M5 a little top heavy, so I dug out one of my FL36R's & found it much more proportionally balanced with the camera & for all the close up work, was much more suitable & considering the flashes were originally designed for base ISO 100, it's now ISO 200 giving an effective increase to the power from the flashes.

• Like Like x 1
  10. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011

How do you fit all that in the bag.. I have the same bag??? :confused: 

11. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    this is excatly why i dont use my 36r, i just use the tiny omd flippy uppy one, for the rare times i use a flash at all
    lol

12. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    On a typical day, say Tuesday when I traveled to the Hollywood Guitar Center for the Regional Drum-Off finals, in my Domke F3X you'll find:

(haven't unpacked, hold on ... pulling crap out)

a) P7-14;
    b) O12;
    c) PL25;
    d) O45;
    e) FL 36R (dusty);
    f) FL LM2 (2);
    g) Lens Cleaning Kit (fluid, cloth, brush);
    h) BLN-1 Battery (1);
    i) Pen & Pencil set (wooden, hand crafted);
    j) Earplugs;
    k) Lens Pen (2- small & large);
    l) Reporters Notebook;
    m) Cards (2);
    n) Samsung Tablet (medium sized); and
    o) a seemingly random assortment of lens caps (unattached)

Around my neck and shoulders:
    OM-D (2)
    P35-100
    O75

(and there was a ton of room for more stuff. I have a four lens insert in the F3X, a wrap of Fig Newtons fit perfectly in one of the lens compartments. If I was on assignment, I'd also have a Travel Boogle packed as well.)

Gary

13. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I usually keep the 75 or 25 & VF-2 mounted on my E-PL5 which opens up a few more areas for space...:smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.