1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Call for Critics: "It's time"

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by quatchi, Apr 27, 2013.

1. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    Hey,

inspired by a recent discussion, I am starting a new series of posts (therefore, the prefix to the thread title). I posted the thread in "Open Discussion" rather than "Images to Share" because the series should be all about real critics. Sure, anyone graves for comments in the lines of: "Wow, this is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G" ;-) but sometimes one also wants some real and helpful critics. So, when commenting on a picture in this series, please write what you like about it and even more what not. There are extra karma points available for those even explaining their initial judgement of the picture. :drinks: So feel free to start your own "Call for Critics" thread with one of your pictures.

Ok, to kick it of, I uploaded an image of mine. I selected this one because I am not quite satisfied with it by myself. Somehow I like it but then again: not. I named it "It's time" which is not only suitable for the image but although gives a deep double meaning to the thread title. :tomato2:

Here is the picture:

Attached Files:

2. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    The crossing diagonals of the box are nice. And the dark negative space draws my eyes to the ring very well, too.

I *might* have preferred a wider DOF so that the watch was in focus, too, but without seeing it, I'm not sure that I would like it better--would having a crisp focused watch pulled my eyes away from the ring? Or would its position partially off the frame prevent that. I can't say.

3. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I do like this image, but even though the watch is out of focus, I find my eye being drawn away from the ring and toward it. Not sure how to deal with that one....

4. abepak

abepak Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2013
    SFV, CA
    I like the initial impression, but like twokatmew wrote, I too find the watch competing for attention. I think it's probably due to the dark negative space and the white watch face. As the saying goes, the eyes are drawn to the lightest part of the image. Aside from the white padding of the box itself, the ring (which is the main attraction of the image) doesn't really call any attention to itself. I wouldn't mind seeing a color version of this image.

5. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    I like the tones, but to my eye, the theme / juxtaposition is not as effective as it could be.

The watch is too far "outside": partially clipped, and beyond the DOF. I'd like to see it on equal footing with the ring, and maybe on the ring's right side -- following the light, and even partially in the ring's shadow (love > time).

I also think the two elements could be more effective placed in a shared context, such as a partial tabletop in front of a headboard: implying where they might be placed in a real home. That would add extra complexity, so it would need to be very subtly done.

Just some random thoughts. And I hope this kind of thread catches on, so great idea. :)

6. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    Thank you for all your great comments so far! It's really interesting to read what other people think when seeing an image.

For me it's usually a "feeling" whether I like an image or not. Only after spending some time thinking about the image I can try to explain why.

Attached Files:

7. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    For some reason it makes me think it should be titled "Time and Money" ...

8. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    I like your thought about the light leading from the ring to the watch. Thereby, giving the image a direction. I had that idea as well when I was taking the shot.

My problem was that I couldn't figure out how to solve the "lighting puzzle". When the light comes from the left, the box (must) open to the left (lid to the right of the ring). Otherwise the light doesn't fall into the lid and the lid might even cast a shadow on the ring - or at least on the cushion in the box. Having the lid to the right, however, would block the "viewer's flow" from the ring to the watch. The lid would seem like a wall between the ring and the watch.

Code:
    ->       *    |     ()
    light  ring  lid  watch

9. Mat - MirrorLessons

Mat - MirrorLessons Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2013
    Turin
    My two cents: it's a composition problem: I don't like the watch being partially cut off from the frame and there's also some empty space on top. If the watch would have been entirely in the frame, out of focus, the photo would have had a better balance.
    I prefer the B&W version.

10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I also prefer the B&W version, and I like the tonality a lot, and it's a nice capture, but I don't see a story here. I'm not sure the point of the image. I find it pleasant to look at, but not much more than that.

What were you thinking/trying to have the image portray?

11. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    You are probably on to me. :) When I started shooting, I didn't had anything special in mind. I was trying out my new flash triggers. Then one thing lead to the other and that's how the ring and watch ended up in the same picture. As initially described, I immediately liked the picture somehow but there is always that 10 or 20% missing which would turn the picture from a nice one into a keeper. Maybe its the missing story behind or in the picture.

Maybe that's the lesson to learn for me here: Do not shot random things, try to convey a story with your picture.

On a second thought, that above sentence is a classic from any book about photography. Maybe they are right after all... :smilie:

So, thank you very much for your comments! :bowdown:
    Further comments are of course welcome - as well as new Call for Critics threads.

12. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    A great idea for a thread. It reminds me of the critics at 1x.com. When you reply you have to state 'what you dont like about the photo, why and how it can be improved'. I will endeavor to find a photo of mine that I want ripped to shreds.

I think there is a great idea behind this photo and like the way it is shot. I just think you have chosen two incongruous items that dont really fit together.

There is some concept behind the picture that the guy with the watch has determined that it is 'time' for him to settle down and get married. It seems to me that part of the concept is that the time piece also represents a watch that he will eventually hand down to his kids when he is married.

Now to me the two are 'incongruous' because the watch looks like a family heirloom while the ring (and the cheap box it is set in) look like they come from Ratners. So I think it needs a decent ring in a quality box to match the old fashioned but quality looking timepiece or else you keep the ring and photograph it next to a digital Timex.

13. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Overall I like the modern ring with the older watch. Where was the flash positioned? The reason I ask is because the top of the watch is darker. Originally I thought "creative vignette" but realized there was more black space above it.