Call for Critics: "Always a star"

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by quatchi, Jun 9, 2013.

1. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany

I would love to hear your opinion on which "version" of the picture you prefer. I have a series of shots of old cars in the streets: Back in the days.

In my neighborhood I found a new addition to the set. The first time I went out with my camera, it was pouring down. The usual "retro yellowed color" look, I applied to the other images in the set, didn't came out right. That's why I ended up with the b/w grainy version.

Today the car was parked at the same spot. The weather was a mix of overcast and sunny sky. This time I applied the usual color look to it.

Which version do you prefer?

My personal opinion is that the rain actually suits the image. With the HELLA head lights, the car has a feel of a racing car to it. But it is clearly out of shape and now sort of left in the rain. Being a Mercedes, however, it will always be a star. :) Hence the title...
    On the other hand, in b/w it wouldn't really fit into the set of the other old car pictures.

Side info: It's an aged and beaten up Mercedes 200. The owner probably tried to enhance to look of the car with those HELLA racing head lamps. It can't be seen on the picture but the car is literally corroding away and the seats are all torn.
  2. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    Out of the two, I prefer the color photograph. However, IMO, the row of houses do not seem to balance the car well. Also, the tire in the first one is a bit distracting as my eyes are led to it from the car, and then out of the frame (seems incomplete somehow). Hope it helps.
  3. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    I prefer the color. Looks like faded old polaroid. I like the composition too.
  4. tuanies

tuanies Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 13, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Tuan Huynh
    I prefer the colour photo. The old-ish color pays tribute to the Mercedes' age. But I would do some perspective correction on the houses in the back so they're standing straight up instead of bowed, if possible.
  5. rossi46

rossi46 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2012
    Yeah, in this picture, the coloured photo looks better. The BW version doesn't have enough space when its monochrome, looks too tightly crowded, the car and the houses into a limited space on the frame.