Call for Critics: "Alone"

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by abepak, May 6, 2013.

1. abepak

abepak Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2013
    SFV, CA
    I liked the idea behind Call for Critics: "It's Time". Here's my entry into the series. I can't take too much credit, since I wasn't in charge of this shoot. The only thing I can take credit for is finding the moment to take the shot and post-processing, so please focus the critiques mainly on those points and not on the lighting.

8715486325_9d47e43b2b_b.
    P5051938-Edit-1-2 by AbePakPhoto, on Flickr

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    What about darkening around the feet? I find my eye trailing down to her feet, and I don't think that's the point of the pic. Maybe also the hair on our left (her right) is a little distracting.

I like the concept overall.

3. abepak

abepak Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2013
    SFV, CA
    Hmm... maybe darkening her shoes would do the trick. To be honest, after looking at the picture so long, it was getting hard to see anything. I agree that the hair is distracting. I wish I had asked her to maybe tuck it behind her arms. I still have a lot more to go. Giving the model directions is very awkward and it's hard to notice the small things that would give the final image the finishing touch.

4. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    I don't mind the shoes, the only thing that bothers me is the hair on her arm. It draws my eyes and confuses me. For the longest I wasn't sure what it was. Other than that, I like it.

5. ranxoren

ranxoren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    The hair on the arm is the only thing that is out of place. Otherwise GREAT shot!

6. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Agree with the other comments, hair on the arm is distracting as are the shoes.

The shot itself is great.

It'd be interesting to see some different processing - original, colour, b&w. Maybe slightly grittier ?

7. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    What idea are you trying to convey with this image? It depicts an attractive, apparently married woman who is possibly naked but covering her body. But it doesn't convey any particular idea or emotion to me. Perhaps ambiguity was your intent? Sexuality? Pensiveness?

8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I think the image title is a clue, no? Or am I misreading something?

9. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    The image title

Sorry, lost the "alone" in the call for critics part. Okay, that along with her posture and facial expression and the ring and even the nudity opens up a whole story.

Technically I wish it were a little less muddy, more contrasty. Skin tone doesn't pop.

10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Yeah, it is a little muddy. OP -- was it underexposed and then pushed at all?

For some reason, it works a little nicer in a smaller version: All sizes | Untitled | Flickr - Photo Sharing!