California Nebula/Pleiades wide field

Discussion in 'Astrophotography' started by georgian82, Dec 17, 2015.

1. georgian82

georgian82 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 17, 2014
    Hi all,

This is still a work in progress, but here it goes. It was taken with Olympus EPM2 and 25mm f/1.8 at f/4 and it consists of 42 x 3.5min exposures at ISO 800. It was processed in PixInsight with darks and bias frames.

Cheers! California Nebula-Pleiades.jpg

• Like Like x 9
  2. TomG

TomG New to Mu-43

Jan 11, 2015
    Redwood City, CA
    Tom
    Nice!

Why did you stop down to f/4? I would think that would just make for longer exposures so you'd have more dark current noise.

3. georgian82

georgian82 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 17, 2014
    Hi Tom,

I stopped it down to f/4 because this lens wide open suffers from vignetting and coma at the corners. Also, the stars don't seem to be as crisp as when stopped down. I can deal with vignetting post processing but I can only fix the coma by cropping the image which I don't necessarily like to do when is a wide field image.

I did various tests with this lens by stopping it down incrementally and found that f/4 gave me the best performance image wise in at the expense of noise since I would have to take a longer exposure. That being said, I deal with noise by stacking and with dark frame subtraction which seems to work very well.

Cheers!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.