1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Calibrator for Dell U2311/Windows 7

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by WasOM3user, Dec 6, 2012.

1. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    Can anyone suggest the most appropriate calibrator for use Windows 7 and Dell U2311 (Graphics AMD 4670 1G)?

I would like to get monitor correct before I do any more work on my OM-D images.

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.

2. Southcross

Southcross Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    Denver, CO USA
    Edward
    if you gots the Cheddar... we use Xrite color management/scanners here at work, they make some top-notch industry standardizing equipment/software:
    X-Rite: EODIS3 : i1Display Pro

3. Southcross

Southcross Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    Denver, CO USA
    Edward
  4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    The Spyder4 is quite affordable and puts in pretty good results. Actually it's hard to make a bad choice.

5. rcky

rcky Mu-43 Regular

Apr 6, 2011
    Washington state
    Does anyone have any thoughts on the X-Rite ColorMunki Smile?
    At $90, it seems like a pretty good price...

6. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    I use a spyder 4. Cheapest for multiple moniters. Then I use an x-rite color checker passport for profiles, and balancing on the camera side. I don't do my own prints so I can not suggest a a solution there.

7. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    ColorMunki or Spyder4

Thanks for the feedback everyone and now having decided to just stick to just calibrating my display (and sending prints to an external lab when needed) it would appear that in order to calibrate my display at a specific brightness to ensure repeatability I need to not buy the cheapest version of the above products but up the range slightly i.e.

X-Rite ColorMunki - Display or
    Datacolor Spyder 4 Elite

Anyone got any experience of either of these?

PS Thanks Southcross for the suggestions on full colour management systems and I may look at these at some point if/when I invest in a large format printer in the future.

8. Vincen77o

Vincen77o Mu-43 Regular

Nov 3, 2012
    St. Albans, Herts
  9. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    I absolutely loathe my Spyder 4, I've had nothing but issues with it, it loves to calibrate my monitor with a sick blue cast, and their tech support sucks, it's sad since I had a spyder 2 which did a damned fine job.

Personally I would look at other options, but that's just my opinion, YMMV. I have seen it work well for others.

10. deejjjaaaa

deejjjaaaa Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 28, 2011