Calibrating Macbook Air screen for photography

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Zancrow, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Zancrow

Zancrow Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2014
    Hello, I have a Macbook Air that I use for travel to edit photos on the go but I'm not too happy with the color rendition. I tried the built-in color calibration before but I keep getting bad results. Anyone know of any color profiles available to download or other options that will help me?

Thank you
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Whtrbt7

Whtrbt7 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2014
    Macbook Airs are primarily used for ultraportable usage. If you're printing something, you can get decently close with the default color profile on OSX called Color LCD. You can also recalibrate it to what you think is appropriate. If your printers support SRGB, you'll have a tighter gamut which you can Approximate by using the SRGB profile on the Macbook Air and that will get you close to what the photo will look like when printed on an SRGB printer. For printers that accept Adobe RGB (1998), you can just switch to that profile and get a good idea of what the end product will look like. Some printers like ProPhoto provide you a custom color profile for printing and those profiles are close to what you would get from their printers. Realistically, it's best to use a color calibrated monitor in a controlled environment in order to properly micro-adjust your colors but most of the time, I find that the default Color LCD profile does a good enough job especially if you're looking at your histogram charts while post processing.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    rob collins
    The Macbook Airs have a very restricted color gamut - 68% sRGB and 48% aRGB. The Macbook Pros are much better at 94% sRGB. Realistically even if your screen is pretty well calibrated, there is a fair chance you will be disappointed with its color output. In other words the problem is probably the screen and not the Mac software color calibration.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Ted

Ted Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2014
    Tasmania, Australia
    Theo B
    Last photo I edited on my MacBook Air came out on my Dell UltraSharp looking like I had jaundice, haha! (It was a picture of me that my sister took)