Caged and Aviary Birds

Discussion in 'Nature' started by RogerM, Mar 19, 2017.

1. RogerM

RogerM Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2016
    En Zed
    It seems kind of cheating to post captive bird pics to the wild and free subjects on the ‘Share Birds’ thread, so I thought I’d set up a seperate one specifically for caged and aviary birds.

The equipment and techniques used are very different to stalking and lurking with big telephoto lenses, gunning the shutter on C-AF for BIF and traveling to exotic or distant locations.
    The problems both compositionally and technically are different too.
    The following are a selection of some of the commonest and easiest pet birds you’ll encounter.

These are my own birds from my small aviary, as I have kept and bred birds from childhood; I mostly now have ‘rescue birds’ although I’ll be breeding a few finches next year.

catfood1.

This is 'Catfood' my ancient flightless Cockateil.
    He was given to us by Millie in Christchurch nearly 25 years ago as a companion to 'Spud' our Cockateil who sadly passed on many years ago. He has his own cage in the aviary.
    I'm not sure he will last another winter but he's had a good run and is a happy boy.

chocbengalese1.

fawnbengalese1.

These two are nice Bengalese finches I was just given by my friend Ray. He is a breeder of some very cool birds including (endangered in the wild) Siskins which one day I hope to be able to contribute to the preservation of (I have plans for another aviary or two).

greenie.

And last but not least, this is the rather unimaginatively named 'Mr Greenie'.
    A most handsome Budgie who flew into a neighbour's garage and was unclaimed by whoever had him formerly.
    All these were taken on my GH1 with the Tokina 90mm AT-X @ f4.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1