1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Cactus V6 Transceiver ?s

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by Clint, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    I’m looking for those with experience with the Cactus V6 transceiver and the FL50R and FL600R flash units. There seems to be some very conflicting information floating around the internet regarding these transceivers and Olympus flash units.

1. Does the Cactus V6 fire every time as expected?

2. Does the Cactus V6 work with the Olympus FL-50R and controlling power adjustments from the camera mounted transceiver?

3. Can the Cactus learn how to control the power output of the Olympus FL-600R?

4. When setting up the Metz compatible flash units, are they listed under the Olympus menu?

2. JBoot

JBoot Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    Scotch Plains, NJ
    Jerry
    I have the v6's and they work with the Metz 58 AF-2 for Oly (listed in the menu under Olympus).

I cannot get it to learn the FL-600R and was told this due to hardware and will be covered in the next generation of controllers, though cannot be done via firmware.

It is very reliable. I use it with both Nikon D750's and Oly E-M5s bodies and have successfully manually controlled Nikon flashes while shooting Olympus, vice versa as well as have two Cactus flashes which are awesome!

With the supported flashes (My Metz for Oly), while in TTL Passthrough mode, it controls the flash settings as quickly as you adjust the dials... with accurate outputs.

While the controller is slightly large for the m4/3 bodies, it was the only controller that I know that had allowed a flash mounted on the camera, had output controls and matching flashes with radio receivers built in.

3. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Thanks for the reply Jerry. I have a Metz 64 AF-1, 2ea - Olympus FL-50R and 600Rs, as well as a few Nikon SB800s. I really like being able to adjust the power levels from the on camera transmitter as I can do with my Quantum gear. I was doing some last minute research before I ordered some Cactus V6s when I ran across some garbage info and inconsistent info from others. I am still in the 'should I or not' stage.

However it would be really great to be able to change the power of all of the units from camera position. But I guess I gain nothing in the size, weight or battery range over the Pocket Wizards - just have to give it some more thought.