Cactus V6 II .. HSS issues

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by Ranter, Aug 7, 2016.

1. Ranter

Ranter Mu-43 Regular

Feb 29, 2016
    Randall
    I have recieved my cactus transcievers. I'm slowly figuring it out and while i do like it , i find that it is very finicky ,, needing lots of restarts

i figured i'd start this thread ,, with my question , but any others with isssues can add in , maybe we can help each other out.. I"m making the assumption 'im not the only one who bought the cactus transcievers

so first ill start off with HSS with m4/3 issues.. that is the main reason i bought it , for use with m43..

below picture was taken at f2.2 @ 8000.. and as you can see theres that black area at top from the shutter ..
    28542859130_cfedece9e6_c. m4322at8000 by Randall Herrra, on Flickr

i suppose some work in post could help ,, but still a PIA
    and below at shutter speed of 2000
    28827013155_d46629212e_c. m434at2000 by Randall Herrra, on Flickr

a bit bettter .. i suppose more usable , by shutter speed of 1000 it is not really noticable unless i'm looking for it (and of course i do)

this was using a canon 430exii and also the same results with a flashpoint 360(godox360)

and below was with a canon 5d3 at a shutter speed of 8000
    28542861780_281218ce74_c. 5d318at8000 by Randall Herrra, on Flickr

as you see lighting is even from top to bottom..
    all three pictures were exposed more or less equal, the the 5d3 being at f1.8 vs gx8 at f2.2 and f4...yet the canons came out underexposed .. now these were quick test shots and proper exposure wasnt really top priority but can help notice quite a difference

• Like Like x 1
  2. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    These look like they are about 2 stops under exposed. Were you manually setting an aperture, shutter speed, and ISO? If not what exposure priority were you using?

Which flash mode did you have set on the GX8?

3. Starfleet

Starfleet Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 14, 2015
    Michigan, USA
    Alex
    I bought the cactus v6 ii and returned them. I always got underexposed shots when using HSS, so I'm not surprised. Maybe they'll fix it in a future software update.

4. Ranter

Ranter Mu-43 Regular

Feb 29, 2016
    Randall
    i will be returning as well..

these things have waaaaay to many issues.. i was sold an unfinished product in my opinion.. new products often have little kinks that need to be worked out i understand that .. but damn!!
    i cant do firmware upgrade as there is an issue with that , that many people (myself included) are having .. they have a workaround .. but its not working for me..
    i've tried and tried , on 2 differnt laptops and still no firm ware upgrade possible ..
    hss not working properly on m43 ,thats the main reason i bought it..
    but aside from that whether on m43 or canon cameras this thing misfires so much , needs constant restarts to get things going properly (and im using the word properly loosely here).. and the occasional reset back to factory set as sometimes just restart wont make it act right..

worst photography related purchace i've made!
    i had high hopes.. i was hoping i could use my m43 setup for portraits with all my lighting

5. captevo

captevo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2012
    Hi all,
    I just got back into m43.
    So, which transmitter works with m43? PEN-F to be specific.
    I have Godox X1 system i use with Sony A7RII and it's perfect, but the mount won't fit Oly's hotshoe. The middle single pin doesn't even match (due to MI on Sony's mount).

6. atomicmak

atomicmak New to Mu-43

Jan 6, 2015
    This thread puts me on hold as I was about to fix an eye on off camera setup with Cactus V6II Plus Cactus RF60 flash.

7. Ranter

Ranter Mu-43 Regular

Feb 29, 2016
    Randall
    Ive been communicating with cactus rep via there forum,, said he would redquest r and d to test with a gx8 ..give them 48 hours to respond is what i was told..
    I already have them packed up ready to be returned

Anyone interested in thewe should visit the forum and see all the issues people are having .. im not trying to bash them , but with the amount of problems they have , these people put out an unfinished untested product if you ask me

8. pogipoints

pogipoints Mu-43 Regular

Oct 6, 2015
    Neil M
    Just got the v6ii today. First thing I tried is normal HSS, with a godox ft16 trigger on its hotshoe and a godox v850 set to hss. All black even at 1/800. Then I tried Power sync, finally I see some flash in the frame.

But, same experience as the OP, I'm getting a noticeable black band at the top even at 1250.

I then took off the v6ii and did the FP TTL workaround with my old FL36, then replaced the Ft16 trigger on the camera hotshoe. Everything was lit up across the frame. Raised the shutter speed all the way to 8000, and it was still evenly lit (but dimmer, as expected with HSS).

So yes my cactus v6ii is also going back.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Mu-43 app

9. Starfleet

Starfleet Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 14, 2015
    Michigan, USA
    Alex
    Too bad, really. Before starting to sell products like this they should have done much MUCH more testing. In good faith I even agreed to have my negative review at B&H pulled down, however it does not look like they have really addressed the many issues with this trigger. Really too bad that so many people are wasting their time and money on this.

10. atomicmak

atomicmak New to Mu-43

Jan 6, 2015
    Hello all,
    This is to inform you all that I have received my Cactus v6II and Cactus RF60 flash units and just quick test made to see if the hss working with Olympus EM1. And yes it is working with HSS off the camera.
    More test I'll make in few days once I buy my modifier and adapter to go outdoor mounted at distance and update you all how it goes.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Stelvio

Stelvio New to Mu-43

Aug 25, 2016
    Is this an update on the V6ii - I read on the official Cactus website a month or so back that HSS didn't work on the EM1?

Have they since fixed this issue, along with the other problems highlighted in the above posts?

12. star bright star light

star bright star light Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 22, 2015
    Sorry to hear some have been failures.

I have been successful. My workflow has included Olympus cameras, FL-600R, Eli ELB with HS head, Eli Dlite 4IT and 4RX, Flashpoint XPLOR 600 and Cactus RF-60.

No complaints here. I won't do a paid gig without backups to cover the functionality needed to complete the gig. But so far (2+ months with the Cactus V6II) I have not needed to use the backup for it.

I realize that this may be of little consolation to those who have been failures, but this is my story.....

Happy image making everyone.

• Like Like x 3
  13. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    I'd be very interested in your experiences using the RF-60 with the ELB. Which camera are you using, does HSS rally work, etc.

14. TomasT

TomasT New to Mu-43

Oct 8, 2016
    Nederlands,Rotterdam
    Tomas Titak
    I also would like to buy Cactus v6II, but now, after reading this I struggle with my decision. I have omd em5ii with Metz 48 AF-1.
    Does anyone has an experience with EM5ii and Metz flash ?
    thanks for reply