1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Cactus V6 and Cactus RF60

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by zap, Aug 17, 2014.

1. zap

zap Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2012
    uk
    Anybody who has used these on their mu-43 cameras?

Any feedback?

Thx.

2. ptan55

ptan55 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2011
    Amherst, NY
    I am thinking of getting the V6s. And would love to hear others' experiences with it.

I am coming from Pocket Wizards (which doesnt support MU43 nor Sony A7 family)

3. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    I have no experience, but I think most of the "brand agnostic" claims are basically that you can mix'n'match Canon/Nikon/Pentax flash gear and still control the power level with the V6s. However, when it comes to mft, the story's a little different from what I can dig up.

From Cactus's FAQ on the V6s:

From a dpreview thread, BarnabyJones posted

Hope I'm wrong and someone else has first-hand information to the contrary.

Reading between the lines, it sounds like they're using the quench pin signal to control power output. The Canon/Nikon/Pentax hotshoe protocols are still backwards-compatible enough with film-era gear to use some analog signaling. The 4/3 hotshoe protocol, otoh, as I understand it is completely digital and does not use a quench pin, but rather digital signals on the pins, so it could be that remote power control with the V6 triggers is completely incompatible with 4/3 (m4/3) flash gear. But that's just a guess.

If all you want is remote power control, then maybe the YN-560iii and YN-560-TX or the Godox flashes & triggers will do what you need.

• Like Like x 2
  4. ilsiu

ilsiu Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    I have a pair of Cactus V6 triggers, an E-M5, and a Nikon SB800. With one V6 unit on the E-M5 in Tx mode, SB800 (set to TTL) on the other V6 in Rx mode, I've been able to successfully remotely fire the flash and also remotely adjust the flash power.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Johbremat

Johbremat Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    FT-generation flashes now supported.

As per http://www.cactus-image.com/v6.html the V6 now supports older Olympus and Panasonic flash heads.

Apparently, the likes of the FL-600R and DMW-FL580 aren't supported because the quench pin is either different, or operates differently.

Any opinions on the following:

1. Buy V6 and accompanying RF60?
    2. Buy FL-50Rs and a V6 for each?
    Don't know if I want RC as a fall back, or if I want remote zoom functionality.

• Like Like x 1
  6. TRCPhoto

TRCPhoto Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2014
    Princeton, NJ
    I've mentioned my recent trials and tribulations with V6s and E-M1 triggering in a few other threads. In short, I purchased an IC12 LED light cube because I like it's battery life and zero recycle time. I also purchased a set of V6s to trigger the cube, thinking I'd put an FL600R on the transmitter for TTL passthrough. Problem was that despite the claim to work with pretty much any system with a hot shoe, and specifically mentioning Olympus and Panasonic, I couldn't get the cube to fire beyond a test button triggering.

I immediately thought it was a firmware issue and went to update and was shocked to see they didn't offer a mac version updater, but had been working on one since July... anyway, I spent all week going round and round with Cactus CSRs and finally was sent a beta version last night and it solved the issue.