Cactus V5 + sleepy flash

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by beanedsprout, Jul 19, 2013.

1. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    So I've got some Cacti but they seem to be slightly incompatible with my Vivitar DF-383 flash. The flash has a sleep function and if it isn't used within 3 minutes it goes into power saving mode and shuts off. Problem is the flash doesn't know that it's being used while using the Cacti and it shuts off anyway, right in the middle of a shoot. Anyone know a way around this? Or know a flash that doesn't have an auto-off that I can buy and not worry about ripping the velcro off my softbox or lowering my light stand to get at the flash every 3 minutes?
  2. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    I use Olympus FL-50r's and FL-36r's along with Pocket Wizards and have no issues.
    The FL-300's replicates the problem you have.
  3. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    Is that Vivitar DF-383 a relatively recent flash? With the Cactus v5, since you only have manual control anyway, old flashes work quite well. I have a Vivitar 285HV, and Sunpak 522 and a Sunpak 544, and all work perfectly with the v5 triggers. They were all made before things like sleep modes became a common feature. If you want something new rather than looking on the used market, the Lumopro flashes get universally great reviews. The manual control Yougnuo flashes are also said to do the job, but build quality and reliability are said to be questionable (I've never seen on in person)
  4. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    Wow. just picked up to Lumopro LP 180s. Holy **** these are nice. Too bad they don't have TTL but oh well, I've got the Vivitar for that.