1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

CA removal - in camera versus in post

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by ralfmouth, Feb 27, 2013.

1. ralfmouth

ralfmouth Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    Which is better? Are both lossy/destructive or does in-camera CA removal work differently somehow. Like in-camera sharpening, is it a blunt instrument better done in post?

(Om-d + panny 12-35 has CA. Hard to remove in post. Would the GH3 look any better?)

2. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    How are you removing in post? Removing CA in post with RAW works great, no disadvantage to in camera. Removing CA in post with JPEG can be an issue. CA removal is best done in the sensor color space on RAW data, doing it in sRGB/aRGB space on a JPEG can leave residual CA and halos.

3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara

4. christofp

christofp Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2012
    Does it have much CA and is it hard to remove??
    At least my copy of the 12-35 on my Om-D does not show much CA.
    More than some primes but surely not more than my OLY Zooms.

I can easily correct lateral CA (the red and green borders) in Lightroom.
    Recently I posted a comparison of 12-35/2.8 with 12/2.0. In this thread I learned to enable fringe removal too. After importing the RAW into LR with my new import profile (Remove CA and remove fringe enabled) the results were very, very good.

Comparing Pana 12-35mm zoom to some primes: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

In the thread you find some test pictures, look at the last post were i enabled "fringe removal", this picture is quite clean for my eyes and very hard to distinguish from "good" primes.

5. ralfmouth

ralfmouth Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    Right now its video, so yea worse than jpeg. Secondary CC in After Effects de-saturates it (with side effects). So you're saying the sensor removes it before compression. That explains its effectiveness.

Not much at all....until boosting saturation to where i want it. Then its bad.

That's a good comparison. Sure confirms the 12-35 purchase.