CA problems with Pana 12-35/2.8?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Starred, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Starred

Starred Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    I was very interested in this lens. However, I now read (on the DPreview farum) there are significant CA issues when combined with an EM5 ( or any other Olympus cam).
    I know that CA can be easily removed with eg lightroom, but I wonder if this combo still is recommendable for jpeg shooters?
  2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    What you really mean is that you've read one post, by one user, who seems to have a rather severe issue. I'd suggest you use the search capability on DPR, and here, to see if this is commonplace, or a unique example.

I won't claim to have read every post by people using the 12-35 with Oly cameras, but I've read more than a few, and don't recall anyone else complaining about CA that severe. He may have simply gotten a bad sample.
  3. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    It's not like the Panasonic 7-14 which gets itself into trouble with most phots because people often catch very large DR so you'll have a brightly lit edge of something.

But it did on multiple photos get CAs. I only shoot RAW unless I have to give someone a copy right after I shoot, so I don't know what the JPEGs look like in terms of purple/green fringing. I think it's a great lens, you'd be doing yourself a disservice by avoiding the lens because of this.

My suggestion to the OP with such high hardware investment, it's probably also worth getting Lightroom, $95 these days when bought from B&H/Adorama with other photo product. You'll likely need to crop a photo slightly and maybe export different sizes than you shot, potentially adjust the WB. It seemed to me as well that I didn't want to deal with RAW files, but it doesn't take very long to apply moderate NR to photos filtering by ISO (I usually do 0 or 20 for luminance).

I've included some CA samples with this lens, you'll have to open a large photo to really see it. It really only does it when you expect it might have a problem. Except for the top of the church, very small area.

Check upper right

Check upper left, not too much in the trees on the right.

Check the top of the building in a larger size

P.S.: Meyerweb, I'm not the same guy on DPR. I care about sharp images but not so much about CA, some of these I had actually posted before, without having looked for purple...