1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

CA Part 2 - Kings Canyon NP

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by s0nus, Sep 22, 2011.

1. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    Chicago
    From Sequoia National Park, we drove north to Kings Canyon. What a beautiful place - much less crowded than the other parks its sandwiched in between, with plenty to see and do. I got the chance to play some more with long exposures with water, as well as a little with bracketing and HDR. I mostly made use of the 14-42mm kit.

We had a couple close encounters with a frisky bear at the campground, but it was after dark and I was too busy throwing rocks and shooing her away to take a picture!

As usual, comments and criticism are welcome! Tear these shots apart if you feel the desire to!

1. Our first real glimpse of the canyon
    [​IMG]

2. Windy road into the canyon
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Risky yoga
    [​IMG]

6. Life after fire
    [​IMG]

7. Painting with wind
    [​IMG]

8. Thugs
    [​IMG]

9. Zumwalt Meadow
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Came across a gentleman with a '50s Rolleiflex medium format camera.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. HDR processing from 3 exposures. Should have shot more in hindsight. I tried really hard not to overdo the processing. This is pretty close to how I remember seeing the scene. Clouds look a little funky - I didn't have a good exposure of the sky! Doh!
    [​IMG]

15. Same evening. HDR from 3 exposures. Overdone?
    [​IMG]

16. Also HDR
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Great set of images, man.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    That's some bloody terrific HDR shots sonus....really looks like you focussed on not overcooking the HDR which is great.

If the viewer is left not entirely sure it's a HDR processed image...then it has been done just right. Glaringly obvious HDR work is too much for my liking.

The second shot, the evening one I really like.

• Like Like x 1
  4. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Forgot to ask, what tripod are you using while hiking there?

• Like Like x 1
  5. PSimmons

PSimmons Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 24, 2010
    Central Florida
    wonderful series, hating life while stuck in my cubicle right now

• Like Like x 1
  6. #9 is fantastic. #1, 4, 12 & 13 are great too.

HDR? Still not really my cup of tea, but these seem okay.

• Like Like x 1
  7. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    Chicago
    Thank you! I'm actually having second thoughts about 14 - I started doing a version that's a little less warm based on some other feedback. The thing is, the scene really was warm - the sun was setting! This foray into RAW and HDR has really gotten me thinking about colors in an image - it's just so damn easy to drastically change the tone, that I begin to wonder what my "ethics" in this space really are. I'm sure photogs have talked about this ad nauseum, especially in the digital age ...

Anyway, I'll post another version processed slightly differently later tonight. I'd be interested in your thoughts!

It's a SLIK Pro II. I chose it for its nice balance between size and weight. Here's a little document I put together when researching which tripod to buy. It's perfect for dayhikes, but I don't really take it on more serious excursions (climbing, backpacking, etc.), where weight is REALLY an issue.

Here I am in action with the tripod. ;-)
    [​IMG]

That was shot by my wife with her Panny TZ5. She too got some really nice shots during this trip. I like this shot more than mine in same general area (#6) - I'm always hiking behind her, shooting her back!

So am I my friend, so am I.

Thank you Nic! It's generally not my cup of tea either, but when it's not overdone, it's almost the only way to take the shot and be true to what the eye sees. I have no experience using graduated ND filters, which the more "pure" approach.

8. bebrox

bebrox Mu-43 Regular

Dec 29, 2009
    Scotland
    What Camera?

Excellent photos with some brilliant composition.

What camera and lens did you use for these.

9. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    Chicago
    Thank you!

All were shot with my EPL1. Most were with the 14-42mm kit. Here's a breakdown:

11, 12, 13 - Panny 12mm
    17 - Adapted Zuiko 40-150mm
    The rest - 14-42mm kit.