CA Part 1 - Sequoia National Park

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by s0nus, Sep 19, 2011.

1. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    We recently did a 1 week road trip in California. While I thoroughly enjoy the process of twiddling with the resulting mass of RAW files, my itch to share some of the better images with you has overcome my patience. So, I decided to put them up in parts as I finish my post processing, grouped by geographic area.

In my arsenal was my EPL1, 14-42mm kit, adapted 40-150mm, 20mm, polarizing and ND filters, and a Slik Sprint Pro II tripod. Many times, I felt like I was missing something wider. I also missed having a remote for the times I wanted to be in the shot, but I made due with running to beat the timer. ;-)

Comments and criticism are very much welcome.
    I'm looking for real criticism - you won't hurt my feelings. If there's something that irks you, or you just find something bland or boring, please let me know! Any technical comments are also very valuable.

I truly hope you enjoy these images!

1. General Sherman, the most massive tree on Earth.

2. Walking through the Giant Forest

5. Sandal feet

6. Washing said feet in the Marble Fork of the Kaweah River, which runs through the Lodgepole Campground.

7. Sunset from the camp overflow parking lot.

8. Tokopah Falls. It was mid day, so I was forced to stack both ND and polarizing filters.

11. Crystal Cave candlelight tour.

12. Being the last group of the day, we got to do the tour twice, the second time with the cave lights on and flashlights.

13. There are fires throughout the Sierras. I stopped to snap a picture of the smoke hanging low in the western foothills on our way north to Kings Canyon NP.
    • Like Like x 8
  2. Chris83

Chris83 Mu-43 Rookie

May 14, 2011
    I really like number four.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    #7 is lovely . . . wonderful framing, color, simplicity.

When I see sets like this I always think: I WANNA GO!!!
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Dan Lopez

Dan Lopez Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2011
    #10 and #4 stand out to me.. thanks for sharing!
    • Like Like x 1
  5. CCRoo

CCRoo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2011
    Love #6
    • Like Like x 1
  6. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    Thanks for looking everyone!

It's interesting that so far, nobody has mentioned my personal favorite of the set. I won't reveal what that is just yet, but that statement alone narrowed it down. ;-)

I also wanted to reiterate that I'm very much interested in real criticism here. If there's something that irks you, or you just find something bland or boring, please let me know!
  7. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Great images, man... makes me want to jump in the car and start driving.

#4 struck me right away. Cool!
  8. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    I like the last one, I'm a sucker for silhouetted rolling hills.
  9. PSimmons

PSimmons Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 24, 2010
    Central Florida
    #4 is really superb but I also like #10. they give us a real sense of size perspective by including the people in the shots
  10. mrjoshua

mrjoshua Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2011
    They're great, thank's for sharing them.

I really like number 10 - It looks like it could go on the cover of a travel magazine!
  11. SNTP

SNTP Mu-43 Regular

Sep 7, 2011
    My favorites are #4, 7, and 11.

Although on #11 that little flare or spot on her left shoulder (our right) is bugging me, but i love portraits like this. They're often hard to get without motion blur. Nice shots!
  12. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    Thank you krugorg, pxpaulx, Psimmons, mrjoshua, and SNTP!

You know, you're absolutely right, and my wife (pictured) agrees. I just updated the original post ... I managed to take out that flare in PS. Normally I don't like altering images in that way, but I don't think I'm altering the "reality" of the image any more than standard brightness, contrast, color, and other PP techniques do.

Thanks again everyone for taking a look!
  13. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    So s0nus, how do you like our trees and mountains?

14. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    I really see myself living somewhere in California, close to the types of places and activities I love. I often think of Colorado as a place for me for the same reasons. The main advantage of California is the ocean in my mind, which Colorado lacks. I love the beach as much as love the mountains.

Chicago, while a great city, is not really close to Nature, although I try to find it where I can get it.

Thanks for looking. Your home state is inspiring!
  15. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    Nice place.
    #7 is simply gorgeous, 2, 3 and 10 are also my favorites.