CA correction in the EM-1

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Andym72, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Andym72

Andym72 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 4, 2013
    Reading, UK
    Does this mean all the Olympus lenses are going to get firmware updates to add this correction data?

And what are the chances of Olympus supporting Panasonic's in lens CA data?

2. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    I doubt it requires lens firmware upgrade. Just a simple lr auto ca correction as it is like then all lenses can benefit from that.

Sent from my M040 using Tapatalk 4

3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Seems like they're using a different system than Panasonic. The CA correction parameters are programmed into the camera rather than being read from the lens. That means no support for non-Olympus lenses, and no support on other cameras.

4. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    To do CA correction quickly in the camera, it has to be done via table look up to find the specific lens correction values. Lens data is in the camera body so as lenses are added camera firmware updates will have to be done.

5. Andym72

Andym72 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 4, 2013
    Reading, UK
    So far, all the lens data (for barrel distortion, or Panasonics CA correction) has been stored in the lenses, but is copied into the working memory of the camera when you mount it. No lens data has ever been stored in an m43 camera body before. Did every PEN camera have a firmware update when the 75mm and the 60mm macro were launched together? No.

6. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    No, but as the previews mention, the E-M1 also does CA correction an custom sharpening for 4/3 lenses, which transmit none of this data. It's not unlike the way Nikon and Sony do distortion correction on their newer bodies.

7. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    What a stupid approach. Because Olympus failed to do it right (e.g., data in each lens) from the beginning, they now have to adopt the second rate approach that requires camera firmware updates every time a new lens is introduced, and isn't compatible with Panasonic's approach.

8. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Even the Panasonic approach to CA is far from optimal. It's not difficult to analyze CA and correct based upon the image itself. The Nikon solution (which has been around since 2007) works on any lens mounted - even those that provide no information at all to the camera (e.g. adapted lenses).

9. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    CA correction and custom sharpening per lens are not part of the u4/3 standard. As different manufacturers add non standard features there's no reason to expect them to be compatible. There's nothing to stop Olympus from profiling Panasonic, Sigma and C/V lenses other than a desire to sell their own lenses. Likewise Panasonic could add a database to do CA correction on Olympus lenses.

Firmware updates happen anyway. The really stupid thing is Olympus method of doing it.

Fred

10. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Another good reason to shoot raw...

11. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    I did read somewhere that somebody said it might happen with Panasonic lenses too... but everyone else has said no. I don't think anyone has actually tested it though. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.