CA Correction for M.Z12 f2

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by tradesmith45, Aug 12, 2013.

1. tradesmith45

tradesmith45 Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 13, 2012
    Hi, I use the 12 for night photography especially stars @ f2.

The lens has coma & a bit of CA.

I've found it hard to figure out what CA correction to apply. CA is most visible beyond the center so any correction to address that area makes the center worse. So I pick a mid-point that at best only makes a small improvement.

Any of you found a better solution?

Thanks much.
  2. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Try DxO: camera+lens specific corrections done automatically. Just download the free trial and run your raw files through on all default - that'll give you an idea if it solves your problem.
  3. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I could never work out CA corrections satisfactorily when I was using Aperture but Lightroom has automatic CA correction, just tick a box, and only a slightly more complex correction process for purple and/or green fringing. That was one of the reasons I decided to swap to Lightroom.
  4. tradesmith45

Dec 13, 2012
    Yes, Aperture has fallen behind. Does the auto CA correction in LR fix uneven CA from center to edge?
  5. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Yes, Lightroom is very good at correcting CA. I use a 300mm legacy lens that produces a fair amount of CA in the right conditions, and I can always get them taken care of in Lightroom.
  6. tradesmith45

Dec 13, 2012
    Same here for my Canon FD 400mm w/ Aperture. CA correction is easy for that one & there's lots of it to correct.

The CA correction for the 12mm @ f2 doesn't work as well. Maybe it is chromatic coma at the edges that I'm having trouble with. It has the same look & the 12 does have about the same amount of overall coma. Its most visible in star photos which of course I shoot @ f2. I can easily correct CA in the center but left w/ something else at the edges.