c-mount, m39 &m42 to M4/3

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Rafak88, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Rafak88

Rafak88 New to Mu-43

Oct 3, 2012

Attached Files:

2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    I have seen these adapters, but I have not tried one. In theory, there's no reason it shouldn't be able to achieve infinity focus based on the register distance of the various mounts it supports.

However, with inexpensive (cheap?) adapters I've found that theory and practice are not totally correlated and whether any particular adapter focuses to infinity is a function of how well it was designed and machined. What I would advise is that if you have use for adapters for all three of these mounts then you might buy it and try it out. If you do that, please report back here with your findings.
  3. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Like Above, in theory it would work (and assuming the rear element of said lens doesn't need to extend that far). But I would think that a solid piece designed for a specific mount is more likely to be reliable for infinity or "marked" distance of the lens than a screw set.
  4. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    There are two issues with this type of adapter:

1. As stated above, the design requires greater precision to do well. If their quality control is such that a single piece adapter would have a +/-0.5mm error then this design would have +/-1.0mm error when used as an m39 adapter and +/-1.5mm error when all three pieces were assembled to create an m42 adapter.

2. The C-mount base adapter will have a roughly 7/8"/20-22mm opening. This is fine for C-mount lenses but could be restrictive when used with fast m39 or m42 lenses.
  5. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Also some c-mount lenses are too 'fat' to seat all the way into the adapter.

For example the Navitar 50mm F0.95 lens.
  6. Rafak88

Rafak88 New to Mu-43

Oct 3, 2012
    Hmmm That's something I didn't think about!!!
  7. Rafak88

Rafak88 New to Mu-43

Oct 3, 2012
    Thanks for the help!!!!!