'C' mode equivalent for Oly bodies?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by nickthetasmaniac, Feb 11, 2012.

1. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Hi people :smile: Just a quick question, please point me in the right direction if it's already been asked and answered...

I use a GH2 at the moment and one of the features I've come to depend on are the 'C' modes. I've got C1 set up for day-to-day shooting, C2 for tripod long-exposures and C3 for video - all I have to do is make sure the mode dial is in the right place and I know that everything is set the way I want (no shooting a session at 3200iso and Small JPEG by mistake :rolleyes:)

Now, I'm very interested by the E-M5, and baring any review disasters I'll probably get one as a travel and hiking camera to replace my GH2.... So, the question: is there a quick and efficient way to replicate the pre-set 'C' modes on Olympus bodies, specifically the E-M5?

I don't mean the super control panel or assignable Fn buttons (although these are both great) - I means a button or something which resets all settings to a pre-set default?

Cheers, Nick

2. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    This thread over at dpreview might help - covers MyMode & Custom Reset

EP-1 My Mode--setting and using: Olympus Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

On my E-P1 I have to admit I've played with the settings but never used this function in anger.

The thread seems to indicate you can activate it via the function key but the detail looks a little clunky.

Brian Mosley (anyone heard from him recently?) also shows the custom settings here

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Dux3sLRy1U&feature=related]E P2 Brian Mosley Menu Settings Part 7 - YouTube[/ame]

and My Mode (about 4:40sec in) which he passes over unfortunately but it indicates where it is, if you watch this section through My Mode can be assigned to Fn

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEEd4X5dnko&feature=related]E P2 Brian Mosley Menu Settings Part 2 - YouTube[/ame]

Hopefully things have improved on more recent cameras to make it a bit easier to get to and set (although I'm guessing once its setup the way you like it wouldn't change much so it might not be that much hassle).

3. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
  4. grantb

grantb Mu-43 Veteran

E-P3 has Myset 1-4, which are four slots that store all settings. You can assign a Myset to a Fn button. EM-5 has this listed as a feature as well. Sorry I can't compare to how it works on Panasonic, but sometimes I wish Oly had it on the mode dial so you don't have to burn a Fn button. The E-M5 is supposed to have more menu control by touchscreen than the E-P3, so this might be a decent workaround.

5. nickthetasmaniac

Jan 11, 2011
    Thanks for the info people :smile: It sounds like it's the same as the reset feature on my old E-3, which wasn't exactly the most efficient function ever...

I avoid the DPR Forums like the plague, on account of all threads turning into ****fights within 10 posts :smile:

6. Empireme

Empireme Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    LA, CA
    This might be a silly question, but how did you set up the C modes? Until now, I never thought about using them. But I just realized that I've painstakingly went through my menu screen to change my settings for video and that all could have been avoided if I did what the OP did! So how do you do it?

7. nickthetasmaniac

Jan 11, 2011
    Set up the camera exactly how you want it, then go into the menu and assign one of the C modes. Easy :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Empireme

Empireme Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    LA, CA
    I get that you have to set up the way I want it first. But my question is how. What button chooses that for c?

9. nickthetasmaniac

Jan 11, 2011
    Ah mmmk. Set it up, then press 'Menu' - go down to 'Custom' (third menu down on the left) - press 'Cust.Set Mem.' - choose C1, 2 or 3 - assign :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Empireme

Empireme Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    LA, CA
    Ahhhh... Thank you!

11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The original MySet feature was introduced with the E-3 and was part of the Mode menu like the Panasonic GH2, but you can set it along with various PASM modes as well, like for instance you could have Aperture Priority with Myset 2 or Myset 3, etc.

However, when they added MySet to the lower-end cameras (ie, like the E-620 and now the PENs), that's when they regulated it to a the Function key and not a Mode setting. This works well in essence but is unfortunate as it means you have to dedicate a precious Fn button to this feature, which many of us can't afford to do. However, with the E-P3 we're now seeing more customizable Fn buttons on a camera than ever before. What that means is that MySet has new life again... as long as you're not a Mini or Lite user. xD

It doesn't seem the OM-D has a Mode dial setting for MySet like the E-3 but even if it doesn't then we already know that the OM-D has more customizable buttons than ever before. So I'm sure that it wouldn't be a big deal to dedicate one to MySet...