C-loop

Narnian

Nobody in particular ...
Real Name
Richard Elliott
I remember someone had this idea back in the 70's. This one looks a little better designed.

They don't seem to be having money problems - they have more than met their goal.

mudanoman

New to Mu-43
BR does have one that works with the Bogen RC2 plates which is pretty cool.

I do want to note that the C-Loop is much different than the FastenR-3. Here is a close up look video that was posted recently: [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAb2rAggHvA]YouTube - C-Loop - A Close Up Look[/ame]

Anyway, its nice to see photographers have choices whether Custom SLR, Black Rapid, Sun Sniper, Luma Labs, etc...

Happy Shooting!

jambaj0e

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I like the C loop because of the two loops, I can use my own straps for it. If only it can have a tripod thread, then it'll be perfect!

oldracer

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
this one lets you use your own strap.
I like the C loop because of the two loops, I can use my own straps for it.
Actually, the benefit of the Y-strap/Black Rapid, etc. style strap is that the camera slips up the strap with almost no resistance because the strap itself does not have to move. It's really effortless, like there is no strap at all.

If you anchor the strap to the camera as with the c-loop then the whole strap has to move when you bring the camera to your eye. IMHO this defeats the major, major, advantage of the design. You may as well use a conventional camera strap that's long enough to allow you to carry the camera on your hip. Other than the way the camera might hang, it's really no different.

It looks nicely made but IMHO misguided.

phrenic

Mu-43 All-Pro
Looks cool, but I have to admit that I'm having trouble seeing the usage benefits.

Kosta

Mu-43 Veteran
IMHO this defeats the major, major, advantage of the design. You may as well use a conventional camera strap that's long enough to allow you to carry the camera on your hip. Other than the way the camera might hang, it's really no different.

It looks nicely made but IMHO misguided.

i thought the whole point was that even thought the camera strap will still lift up, it won't be in the way of any controls or anything, and won't need to be jiggled out the way so you can get a quick grip on the camera.

oldracer

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
... even thought the camera strap will still lift up ...
Here's the difference: With the BlackRapid/Y-Strap type setup the camera's connector to the strap is designed to slide. So when you raise the camera to your eye, the connector slides along the strap and the strap doesn't really move. The strap could be sewn to your clothes where it goes over your shoulder and it wouldn't make any difference.

Here is the connector I made for my home-made Y-strap:
Camera_Attachment.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
You can see that it will easily slide along the strap.

With a conventional strap and with this C-Loop thing, the whole strap has to move and you have to overcome the consequent friction, bunching of clothes, etc. The difference is huge. Really, with the sliding connector you aren't even aware that the camera is on a strap.

The video here: RS-7 R-Strap » BlackRapid.com illustrates the thing very well.

BTW, I think the Black Rapid type straps with the heavy shoulder pads are overkill for M43 equipment. Mine and the commercially-available Y-strap are just 1" nylon webbing and that is entirely adequate.

Much more here: https://www.mu-43.com/f67/insanely-long-detailed-review-3-sling-straps-2901/

oldracer

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
How about this Sling fasterner on eBay?
Yes. That's also a very good illustration of the sliding type connector versus the C-loop type of fixed connector.

To my taste, it's pretty bulky for our little cameras, as are all the others I've looked at except the original Y-strap (Y Strap « The Figital Revolution). If I wanted a tripod mount I would make a thin stainless plate that clamped between the camera and a quick-release plate (For example: Kirk Enterprises : Quick Release Camera Plates) and provided a hole to clip the strap connector assembly to. That would give you your ability to set the camera on a table though not as solid as sitting on the whole camera bottom. But I haven't seen anything like that commercially. Probably they are out there somewhere.

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
Absolutely second oldracer's point(s). A sling strap is less about where the strap attaches to the camera than how it sits on the shooter and how the camera moves. This c-loop just takes a traditional strap setup and moves the attachment point to the tripod socket, which may be a good thing, but its got very little to do with a sling strap. A sling is worn over the opposite shoulder (the left for a right handed shooter) with the camera resting down around the right hip (higher or lower depending on individual preference). So the strap goes around the whole torso from left shoulder to right hip (or reversed for lefties), rather than just around the neck. And the strap barely moves when you lift the camera with a sling strap - the camera just slides up the strap to face level. And then slides back down to the hip.

With a sling, I personally prefer a tripod attachment point because I find the strap is always in the way of something when I use a lug-mount attachment point. But plenty of people like them there, like oldracer. So I guess that same issue can come up with a more traditional neck strap and the c-loop addresses that, but it doesn't make a regular strap into a sling strap at all.

So it looks like a useful product for folks who like a traditional strap but don't want the straps attached at the lug mounts, but that's about all.

-Ray

oldracer

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
A sling is worn over the opposite shoulder (the left for a right handed shooter) ... So the strap goes around the whole torso from left shoulder to right hip (or reversed for lefties)
:smile: Ray, I guess you and I disagree about everything except what a great idea the sliding connector sling strap is!

I am right handed and wear the strap on my right shoulder, hanging down so I basically have to just close my left hand in order to grasp the camera. The reason is that my left hand is my camera support hand.

(I was taught this many years ago in a seminar --- the heel of the left hand supports the camera body, leaving the fingers to focus [anachronism, I know] and zoom [not so much in the old days]. The right hand provides essentially no support; its job is to steady the camera a little bit but mostly to press the shutter button. It's awkward as hell until you make it into a habit, left elbow held tightly against your body, but once you learn it, you become a much steadier camera platform.)

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
I don't even think we disagree on that - we just use it differently (as with the lug vs tripod mount points). Left shoulder/right hand just feels more natural to me, probably from years of commuting on a bike with a messenger bag slung over my left shoulder and swung around my right side. No right or wrong way here.

-Ray

Latest threads

Top Bottom