C&C Welcome: How are my edits?

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by Kazooless, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Kazooless

Kazooless Mu-43 Regular

Oct 5, 2015
    Jeff Kazules
  2. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    First and third are nice. The second? Something about it, the sharp line around the chin/jaw area has an odd effect that I can't put my finger on.

3. Kazooless

Kazooless Mu-43 Regular

Oct 5, 2015
    Jeff Kazules
    Thanks David. I was practicing the Peter Hurley method here:

I think it would be better if I didn't have his body turned at such an extreme angle. I'm guessing my edits are fine though, huh?

4. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    They look just a little crispy to me, I don't think you need to sharpen quite that much. Out of curiosity, did you also apply noise reduction in these?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Kazooless

Kazooless Mu-43 Regular

Oct 5, 2015
    Jeff Kazules
    Here is a redo of #1 based on comments I received here and other places. I did apply Nik Software noise reduction, but nothing past default. I was wondering about crispness but seems like most people are complimenting that (not in this thread).

Tim_Kazules_1440p_signed.

6. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    Walter
    i'd be interested in seeing the before pic too

7. Kazooless

Kazooless Mu-43 Regular

Oct 5, 2015
    Jeff Kazules
    Here is a pure export from the RAW using Aperture. I didn't even resize it down.

P1018591 - Version 2.

8. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    Walter
    great edits. The original is good, but the edits made them great. Can you describe how you made the edits? (ie which tool for hair, eye catch) I'm trying to improve my skills with LR and PS.

9. bluzcity

bluzcity Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    Brent
    It is really a matter of taste. For me the edits have too much sharpening. I actually would prefer something in between the appearance of the raw and the sharpened versions.

10. protapic

protapic Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    John
    Second picture, something odd about the white outlines around the ears....too much selective sharpening around chin for my taste-gives the appearance of a cutout face. I also agree with previous comments on sharpness in general.

11. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    IMO agree with other comments. #1 and some of #3 to a lesser extent too much sharpening on beard and eyelashes. #2 I don't care for. Catchlights right in center of eye and two of them, rather than one. Neck looks abnormally long and thin. Can't really comment on edits w/o seeing starting point (other than #1, which was improved..but "overly improved")

12. Kazooless

Kazooless Mu-43 Regular

Oct 5, 2015
    Jeff Kazules
    Thanks so much everybody. It's great to get al of these opinions. #3 was available light only. #2 was months ago and I would definitely do it differently now. The light I had behind him was too strong and that is where the ears are getting the white halo from.

Walter: I use Aperture. I will use it until it won't work any longer. I'm very sad that Apple stopped developing it. :( I also use the Nik Software Collection. Here is the process I've garnered from watching their many free tutorials on YouTube.

1st. I take the raw processing and remove sharpening and detail. Then, I adjust exposure be sure I don't have clipped highlights (unless there is an area I purposely overexposed, which is rare). If there are blemishes, I'll work on those next. For #1, I lightened the bags under his eyes and removed some acne from the nose and forehead. There was a spot on his forehead that looked like it had a bruise, so I lightened that area too. This is all very minimal and I try not to do more than a few minutes here. #2 took a lot longer because he was at that stage in life where he had lots of zits. :(

The first Nik plugin I use is Raw pre-sharpener. I usually just take the default for the whole picture, as they suggest it only needs a very little touch. Then I'll go into the noise plugin. Again, I usually just accept the defaults unless it is a really high ISO with a lot of visible noise. Next I'll go into Viveza and touch up the eyes. Usually there isn't anything else I want to hit, but Viveza is great for just small areas of the pic. Color Efex Pro is next. I usually will add the Skin Softening, then Tonal Contrast and lastly Darken/Lighten Center. With the contrast, I usually deselect the skin areas.

Now that I'm pretty much done, I'll export it to the resolution I want for the intended medium. In this case, I exported to 16-bit tiff to fit in 1440p (sometimes 1080p, but nowadays we have so many high DPI monitors out there). I re-import it to Aperture and apply the output sharpening. Again, I just select 72dpi display as the output and choose defaults. I'll also de-select the skin again and play with it to make it right. I sometimes select the eyes to enhance them.

Lastly, I export it to JPEG and upload. :D

I'm new at doing major editing like this, so any suggestions for this too are quite welcome. I hear all of the agreement that it is too sharp, so I'll probably dial that back now in my process.

Thanks so much everybody!

13. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I think your second edit on #1 looks a lot better. The NR processing was making the skin look very unnatural and smooth/blotchy.

14. gr6825

gr6825 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 10, 2012
    Too much sharpening for my taste, but very nice photo

15. Kazooless

Kazooless Mu-43 Regular

Oct 5, 2015
    Jeff Kazules
    Okay, here is a new one from the same shot as #1. I used less sharpening this time. Better?

Tim_Kazules_at_Bar_1440p_signed.