C-AF - dumb question probably...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Tapper, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Tapper

Tapper Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    ... but I've never used C-AF before. Tried it the other day and found that when I held the shutter button halfway my 12-40 f2.8 lens would "breathe," and rhythmically go back and forth.

Is that how it's supposed to be for C-AF?
  2. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    Continuous focus means it'll constantly reacquire lock... this is for use e.g. when your subject is moving towards or away from the existing focal distance
  3. Tapper

Tapper Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    Thanks. So I guess my lens is behaving normally then. I'm a mainly S-AF shooter. :th_salute:
  4. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    Sounds perfectly normal.
  5. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
  6. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    One of the benefits of having a hybrid PDAF/CDAF focusing system like on the EM1 is that the camera has more information to determine where focus should be. A pure CDAF only focusing system can only rely on the contrast of the pixels to determine that and may need to do the back and forth shuffle to determine. While I find that the EM5 has less of an issue with jogging in and out when focusing than other manufacturers CDAF only systems, it still has a higher probability of doing that than say an EM1.
  7. daanh

daanh Mu-43 Regular

Jul 25, 2010
    Hi, I have an OMD-EM5, and hope that someone here can explain how C-AF works on that camera. I want to shoot my sons soccer games. (Will) have the 12-40 and 40-150 PRO.

Some things I read:

You have to set vivid mode to ON.
    You have to shoot in low-sequential mode.
    The focussing box disappears after the first shot.

But I'm still a bit confused about this whole C-AF thing. If someone can explain it a bit for the EM-5, thanks very much!

Best, Daan
  8. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    I have the same combo and I've decided to stick to AF-S since I have NEVER succeeded in using E-M5's AF-C (or tracking). The continous focusing seems totally useless with this camera.
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

From most accounts spamming SAF is a lot more effective if all you've got is standard CDAF. That's all the CAF algorithm does anyway when it doesn't have DFD or PDAF to work with, but at least when you do it you can control when it starts to AF again.
  10. sprocket87

sprocket87 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2011
    Just a note that the C-AF in the EM5II appears to be a great improvement over the EM5. Not sure how it compares to the EM1 with phase detect, but the EM5II does a respectable job keeping lock in CAF. It still struggles with fast-moving subjects, but for focus/recompose shooters or slower moving targets the C-AF appears to be quite workable. The same applies in video.
    • Informative Informative x 1