Byron Bay, Australia

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Luckypenguin, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Last weekend I had the chance to travel down to Byron Bay. Byron Bay is located on the north coast of New South Wales, Australia. It has long been known for it's great beaches as well as relaxed and occasionally alternative lifestyle :smile:.

This was an opportunity to get to know the PL 25/1.4 a bit better, having only had it for a few weeks now. I'm very impressed with the lens so far; it being wonderfully sharp and contrasty as it's reputation suggests. Some time now spent using both the 25/1.4 an the 20/1.7 has confirmed for me that the two lenses are different enough that I could easily keep using both. The 20/1.7 is more of a wide-angle lens, whereas the 25/1.4 noticeably cuts down the angle-of-view and offers greater control of depth-of-field when you want it. Both are great lenses for different applications.

In this instance I was using the 25/1.4 on my GH1, on which it is perfectly well behaved. On my E-PL1 it is feels much less refined (the aperture diaphragm that is, not the image quality).

A couple from the main beach...

...and the rest from the Cape Byron Lighthouse which overlooks the bay from the south.

For a further taste of Byron Bay I'll add a few more images taken with the Canon G1X that I had performing zoom duties on the day.

#10 (You can see the lighthouse in the background of this image)

#15 (Looking south from Cape Byron)
    • Like Like x 13
  2. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Great set, thanks for sharing!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Dangermouse1968

Dangermouse1968 Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2011
    what a wonderful place and you got some great shots with that awesome lens!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Good stuff Nic.

Byron Bay is a great place, many sweet memories for me.

Did you by any chance stick around and watch the sunset from the lighthouse ?
    I used to love doing that, the sun would set over the mountains (Mt Warning) that I can see in the background of image 11. Spectacular stuff....probably the best place along the east coast for sunsets i reckon. I think I'm overdue for a little trip back up north...gonna have to get up there for a mid-winter getaway.

Great quality shots....and I really dig that cool sunburst in #8.
    I looked at the larger images on your Flickr....really clean and crisp.

Nice portrait of the missus too...the G1X can do a job, I'd be interested to hear your impressions of it once you've had it for a while.....I'm looking to pick up something like that, or the Fuji X10 as a 'jack of all trades' second camera.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Great shots - thanks!
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Thanks Ad, DM, Joe and Bob.

Joe, unfortunately we didn't stay around 'til sunset. We left around about 5pm so that we could drive back to Brisbane. This was only my second ever visit to Byron Bay and the first time that I had got to see the lighthouse. I remember last time I couldn't get a carpark up there. This time I had to do a few laps to find one but I was determined to see it!

Re: The G1X. Using it as a mere second camera might be selling it too far short. The X10 is probably better suited for a more casual role since it is smaller and cheaper. The zoom lens may make the X10 comparison seem logical but I think the X100 would be the more appropriate standard of comparison in Fujiland. I'd started an informal review thread over at Seriouscompacts which you may find helpful.
  7. Accbyronbay

Accbyronbay New to Mu-43

Sep 12, 2012
    samson smith
    I agree with you.......!! and Luckypenguin, nice images....!!
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Very nice, Nic. I'll be in that part of the world in November, it's been a while since I've been up that way. :smile:
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Beautiful shots and what a beach. I spent six years in Mauritius before moving here and miss all those beautiful beaches . Some how Victorian beaches are not so friendly.Panasonic PL25 is a wonderful lens and thats why I rebought it :wink:
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ah wow, this is a nice blast from the past! I think it was only recently that I was processing the last few shots from this trip in my useful disorganised way. Of course the problem with every holiday is that they end, and this one only lasted for a couple of days.
  11. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Great time of year for it. I hope that the weather is good; should be warming up nicely by then.
  12. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    Excellent PP and no blown highlights!
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Thank you, although looking at them now I'm thinking that maybe a bit of perspective correction may help some of them. It's always instructive to look back through photographs again after some time has passed.