Bye bye smartphone

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by fransglans, Jan 29, 2013.

1. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Hi. My journey with constraints are continuing :)

Now its time for new things to go and this time my samsung s3. I sold it last week. And im so proud and free :) this little anti-social and stressful little monster had to go. For two years It all became like a addiction to always check things on the web.

I have been thinking of this a long time but after a long talk with a good friend that spoke about always paying full attention to the things you do contra having that smartphone ticking in your left hand or pocket always screaming for your attention.

Are you with me?

One lens one year
    One old school phone one year

/ gus from sweden alias fransglans
    • Like Like x 6
  2. luiztakei

luiztakei Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2012
    I don't know where we, as a species, are going but it seems like spending a large period of time studying something is a thing of the past. We want everything right now. People have to train themselves to be patient these days...
  3. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Hi Gus!

Nope, I'm thinkin' of heading the other way; shortly before I retired I hung up my Blackberry and have been using simple flip phones.

However I find I miss having my calendar and contacts in Outlook sync with my phone. (Even tho retired I still maintain a calendar; the staff meetings, however, tend to be at the donut shop or the barbers :biggrin:).

My phone is due for replacement next month and if I can cut the right deal on a data plan (I don't need much - I don't surf the web on a phone, don't text, don't I.M., and have few emails per day) I will opt for something that will sync with Outlook. However if I can't cut a deal on a minimal data plan, the plain flip phone works for me.

Good luck in your journey to simplification!

(I've 'simplified' my home library by moving to a Kindle, buying titles I want to keep in electronic format and getting rid of (nearly) all of the hard covers in the house. Of course that meant buying new versions of books I already owned in some cases, but I donated the hard covers to the local library and got a tax deduction, so it hasn't been to onerous. I've used e-readers for years but in the last two years I've gotten serious about not buying any hard covers that work well on the Kindle. :thumbup:).

4. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    How much actual calling do you do? Wife and I both use virgin mobile phones - it might be advertised towards a younger audience, but for $35 bucks a month you get 300 minutes of calling and unlimited everything else (data is throttled after i think 2.5gb, but that is a LOT of emailing!). T-mobile also has pretty good value plans (I think a $30 plan, but less minutes with only 200 or something like that). Virgin mobile is a sprint company, so you can look at them as a re-branded sprint plan too.
  5. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    Nope.You'll have to pry my IPhone from my cold dead hands!
  6. peterpix

peterpix Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 8, 2010
    So. Maine
    Peter Randal
    Me too! I use my iphone many times a day and listen to the radio on it at night!
  7. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    I would love to divorce from my wireless carrier and dump my smartphone with all its stupid anti-social-networking demands ... minimalism is very tempting, especially for an aging simpleton like me ... but ...

I can't get there yet as I use my smartphone for quite a bit of data gathering (weather, maps, sun position, long exposure calculations, etc.) when out in the field. I could go with something like the iPod Touch but only if I had a mobile access point to go with it. Perhaps that would actually be better?

Inspired, but scared ...
  8. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    Another one here who will not part with my iPhone.
  9. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    I had 100 reasons to keep my samsung. But I figured out that time is a important thing. When I am with my kids, they must have my time. When im at job, it must have my full attention. And so on... The smartphone stole a lots of precious moments. And stressed my inner-man
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    I respect your courage, Gus. I too cant live without my iPhone, iPod touch, iPad. Theyre just the right stuff for me. I can research and read text materials. Email. Social media. Music. Videos. Entertainment. Etc.

It does take a lot of time and it becomes a bit addictive but only because it makes life easy/ier.

I look at it like im driving an old stick shift Versus an automatic transmission vehicle. You have a lot of control and needs your full attention driving a manual car but driving an AT is as simple as putting it in Drive and stepping on the gas pedal. And its hella easier, more fun and it minimizes stress on my part. Minimum input, maximum effectivity.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App
  11. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Well done mate . I am almost on the same route. I am dumping my Iphone for simple old fashinoned Nokia. I have noticed that we are becoming digital slaves and more we use smart phones , more dumb we are becoming . We observe a gadget free day once a week in our house when no one uses anything during the whole day. I am going to extend that to two days a week and later on more. I also feel these things are quite anti-social and we can live without them .I dont have FB account and I dont use twitter . Anyway well done once again :2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs:
    • Like Like x 1
  12. macalterego

macalterego Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 10, 2012
    Lawrence, KS
    Jeffrey McPheeters
    I use my older iPhone 4 and 3G models as photo and video capture devices. I have two iPads used primarily for field photography work. I have family all over the globe, so the grandparents and grandkids stay in touch with Skype on these devices. My three sons grew up with a Mac and a PC on each of their desks. They were never "the latest" and they rarely had much Internet access since we were in the boonies. So even today, though they are very versed in all the latest tech, they really don't seem caught up in it at all, nor do they try to. They prefer a good book to relax. The sixteen year old doesn't even have a facebook account as he thinks it's a waste of time for most of his friends and he's correct. Most of them have no idea or interest in how to use these tools productively. I'm an old netgeezer predating the Internet by a long way (we still programmed with punchcards when I was in college and "online" meant accessing a bulletin board with a 300 BAUD modem), and the sooner you learn they are just tools, the better off you are. We know what "form follows function" means, but I like to first test if "function follows value". If the function isn't of real value, which is certainly subjective, then I don't care what form it takes. You should be just fine without an iPhone in your pocket. Besides all your friends will have it or an Android and they will be more than happy to "enlighten" you with theirs when you need it! :)
  13. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Nope. My iPhone means I can message my family and friends without paying for SMS service (WhatsApp), call my parents (abroad) using Skype, and synch my work calendar automatically with my social calendar. Plus track my workouts (including distance, location and heart rate using a bluetooth wireless belt). But I regularly leave the thing plugged in next to the bed on weekends and ignore it then. Best of both worlds.
  14. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    As little as possible :biggrin:. The Princess of the Exchequer, however, absolutely must be in frequent (constant??) contact with the kids and grand kids. :biggrin:

We get 2 lines from Verizon for a little over $65 a month, 700 minutes. (I get a bit of a break from a deal cut between Verizon and the company from which I am retired). All of the kids (military, so scattered all over the place) are on Verizon which means a ton of 'free' calling because they are all on the same carrier.

The last time I checked Verizon wanted $25 a month (per phone) for a smart phone data plan - which seems excessive to sync my Outlook calendar :eek:.

I'm hoping they have something a bit more sensible available next month when I swap the phone.

(Apologies to O.P. on the brief hijack of the thread!)

15. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

No phone ... not even a watch.
  16. scott0487

scott0487 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 10, 2012
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    I think . . . wait what was I saying. I think . . . oh sorry I was watching a video of a cat playing the piano on my iPhone. My own view is . . . crap just got a meeting request. BRB.

Back . . . what are we talking about? Oh yeah, I agree.