1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Bye bye m43

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Kiwi Paul, May 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I put my remaining m43 kit up for sale today and most of it has had offers of interest or sold.
    So for the first time in over 8 years I will no longer have any 43 or m43 kit.

It was my intention to run 2 systems, the Sony A7R2 + lenses as my main kit and the m43 as a compact travel kit, but in the end the Sony stuff packed into such a small bag anyway it isn't a problem to carry about at all.
    I've just bought an A6000 + 16-50 kit lens to compliment the ff setup and also as a second (backup) body, as both bodies can use the same lenses (although the A6000 is crop sensor) it makes more sense than having 2 different systems (Sony and m43).

So it is with a slightly heavy heart I bid farewell to m43, it served me very well, but things move on.:boohoo:

Paul

• Appreciate Appreciate x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    Your a bad, mean nasty man, may the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits.

• Funny Funny x 22
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Congratulations, but it's probably all in your head that the Sony kit fits in a small bag. There's no smaller system than M43! :p:D;)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  4. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    The Sony Sony A7R2 looks like quite a camera. If money were no object, I would likely buy one too.

• Like Like x 1
  5. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Best of luck on your photographic journey.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    All the best! Its all in your head anyways. If you cannot see it, you cannot capture it. The equipment just allows you to do so, and most gear today has far exceeded reasonable expectations.

Have fun,

--Ken

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. flipmack

flipmack Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2012
    irvine, CA
    I just did the same. I was holding on to my ZD 35/3.5 macro lens, but doing so would have always kept me in the ecosystem, so I sold it.

I now just have an X100S, and that's it.

8. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    We all wander around between systems. Best of luck with the new one.

Last edited: May 27, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I really like the idea of a Sony FF system, but I really can't seem to get over touchscreens. Every time I use a non-touchscreen autofocus camera, I find it so clunky to change the focus point on the fly that I always end up mentally resetting to focus + recompose, which has noticeable issues with larger sensors and focal plane shift. Even with manual lenses, being able to touch magnify is incredibly useful. When I don't have the touchscreen I find my compositions are a lot more static.

It saddens me that M4/3 and Leica (which I can afford even less than Sony) are the only mirrorless companies that recognize just how amazing touchscreens are on modern cameras. I've been utterly spoiled. Even Canon and Nikon now include touchscreens on their high end DSLRs. Part of me wishes I'd just started out with Sony or Fuji so I would never know just how good the little features my Panasonic has are. (Actually, that's a lie - if I'd started out with Sony I probably would have got the NEX-5N which had a touchscreen, which would make my rage at Sony abandoning the concept even more exacerbated)

Last edited: May 27, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    You'll be back ;)

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  11. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nikon 1, EOS M, and Samsung NX have touchscreens on most models, too. Admittedly they are less attractive for other reasons. Shame Samsung seems to be dying, because I think they were shaping up to be the most attractive APS-C option for those who enjoy modern specs and features.

Fuji put a touchscreen on their new X70, so there is hope in the Fuji realm, maybe. Sony won't even put touchscreens in their RX series! :(

12. AlanU

AlanU Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2012
    Awesome!!! you suck ;)

That Sony you have is a video light sponge machine!! and killer IQ.

I wish you the best in your new tools!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Enjoy the A7rII!

I'm sticking with both systems for now - there simply isn't anything like the telephoto goodness of the 50-200 SWD and 150/2.0 with the teleconverters available in Sony Land for me, but my trust A7R gets the nod for everything wide-ish already, so I understand where you're coming from in that respect.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    Ahh, right you are. Yes, we have a Samsung NX210 in the family, and it is a nice camera, but was right before the touchscreen models came out. If I can find an NX500 cheap some time in the future it might be nice to pick one up.

I agree that Samsung was the best of the APS-C systems. Great body features, excellent sensors in their last iterations, and the best bang-for-buck of any mirrorless lens line-up, not to mention more complete than Sony.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Rambling Sam

Rambling Sam Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2016
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Sam
    I wish you the best of luck with your Sony A7, it's certainly a wonderful camera and a fair bit of the technology that Sony is using, is due to their tie-up with Olympus, so the Sony's not that 'different' a camera! I'm tempted to buy the previous Sony model which will allow me to attach, (without an adaptor) the Rokkor lenses I have from the Dynax 9 I've still got!

16. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    When you say the previous Sony model, do you mean the Sony a99 (A-mount DSLR)? Because any of their mirrorless E-mount models will still require an adapter. That shouldn't stop you, though! Adapting lenses is super easy on mirrorless, and a lot of fun.

17. Rambling Sam

May 27, 2016
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Sam
    Just a thought ...
    If I was contemplating the same system change-over as you, I would have kept one of my m4/3rds bodies with the Zuiko 7-14mm f2.8 zoom I own on it, for those shots when I need something wider than the lenses Sony and Zeiss currently offer.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Rambling Sam

May 27, 2016
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Sam
    Yes, the A99, because the Dynax 9's lenses are completely compatible with that.

19. sesser

sesser Zen Master

Mar 10, 2015
    Portland, OR
    randy
    #troll

:rofl:

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Well, at least you're sticking with Olympus ... ;)

I was just using your GH3 today as Apaches buzzed my house all day long.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.